➹ 2.1

"Where have you been?"

Doyoung was greeted by his mother, seated on one of the couches in their living room. He nearly rolled his eyes, almost forgetting the fact that his mother had a day off today.

He pivoted his heels turning towards his ever so grimly mother. He gave her a smile, holding back a clenched jaw that he wasn't in the mood for her nagging.

The woman paid no interest to him, until he took a seat on the couch next to her. "You have a girl you're seeing?" She asked bluntly.

Doyoung was dumbfounded by her accusation, he blinked a few times before replying. "No, I don't have time for that." He said. It confused him even more when his mother snickered.

"Then who was the girl you went to Busan with? A one night stand?" She asked. Doyoung was annoyed with the fact that his mother still stalked him.

In what world would a mother do that? But apparently, it was his. He sighed, but before he could reply the woman kept on going. "I expected better from you even though I knew you weren't as excellent as your brother." She said.

"This behaviour is a disgrace—" "She's a friend." Doyoung stopped her. He stood up, obviously done with his mother's insults. "She was from my class and we had work together, it's none of your business." He replied before leaving her.

He only stopped by his house as he had to pick up a few files he left in his room. He rather stayed at his penthouse instead of that hell he called home.

It was a headache really, his family was all about reputation. It wasn't like he would be the chosen one to inherit the wealth, they had his brother for that.

The woman scoffed as her son walked up the grand stairs of their house. Doyoung scurried into his room, shutting the door behind him before he descended a few steps from his bed to his study table.

He took out the files and went for a one last check before he decided to leave. He was eager to leave, already annoyed the moment he stepped foot into the place.

"I'm having the Park's over to your party."

His mother announced causing him to stop on his tracks. What the hell? He thought to himself.

Doyoung was contented with the position he would own in the future, he liked the job as much as the studies he was currently doing. He couldn't have asked for more.

He furrowed his eyebrows, obviously mad at the preposition. "My birthday is supposed to be my day, no business deals." He said, standing firm on his stance.

His mother chuckled. "It's not business, my son. She might be your wife for all we know." She replied.

His mother and her circle of friends were always on some kind of competition to marry off their sons to the wealthiest families. To compete who tied off the most secure and richest bond.

It was annoying that he was forced to be her pawn. His brother was her first victim, but lucky for him, he actually fell for his wife.

Whereas Doyoung, didn't believe in that kind of love. To him, love cannot be bought nor can it be forced. He had never dated before because all his life, he was busy trying to impress his mother that he could be better than his brother.

However, he reached to a point where he realised that he would never be the one. Thus, he decided to focus on himself. Discover what he enjoys and gather the people he liked around him.

And so far, he was contented with his life. He had wonderful friends surrounding him, he was good in academics, and he felt much free than before.

"No," he blurted. "I won't allow them if it's for a stupid arranged married." He added. "You can invite your friends for all I care but if you're crossing the line then maybe we'll cancel the gala." He said before walking out on his mother.