Strawberry Kit Kat (1)

Posted on April 26, 2014 by thedonkatsu

Tiffany steps out of the small kiosk with a spring in her step. She has finally found the treat she's been searching everywhere for: the strawberry Kit Kats.

They are normally quite easy to get but today's a different story.

Today out of all days, after a particularly long and bad day at work, she's forced to hunt for the treat that she absolutely must have in order to stay sane – or so she mumbled to herself in determination as she visited every minimart she passed on her way home.

She almost gave up but she decided to make one last desperate visit to this snack shop a few stations after her stop. The store was closing when she rushed inside and asked the surprised shopkeeper in broken Japanese for her favorite Kit Kat flavor.

Best decision ever, she tells herself as she rips the small package open and breaks the Kit Kat in two.

She takes a bite from one of the short pink bars and sighs contentedly as she makes her way to the platform, waiting for the last train home.

It's been quite a culture shock so far and she's anxious about being squished into the train again even though she's now happily chewing on her Kit Kat.

Lucky for her, the platform is quiet.

She walks a bit further towards the end of the platform because she always prefers sitting in the back cars somehow.

The second pink bar has just disappeared inside her mouth when she catches sight of a young woman, slightly younger than her by the looks of it, standing a distance away while staring at the rails, alone.

She thinks nothing of it and stops to stuff the torn wrappers back inside the box.

After a few minutes of checking her phone for messages and replying them, she takes out another small package, ready to tear it open.

That's when she notices the noise that signals the incoming train.

She's about to pocket the Kit Kat when she notices movements from her left and turns her head to see that young woman taking slow steps towards the edge of the platform with her head down and her face impassive.

What is she doing? The train's not here yet. Why is she approaching the platform? Is she one of those eager passengers who's always impatient-... Wait. She's not stopping at the yellow line. She's gonna step over it!

A warning is triggered in Tiffany's brain as she makes a lightning-fast dash towards the woman, grabbing her arm to pull her back, away from the edge.

The woman seems shocked, nearly toppling backwards thanks to the strength she uses to pull her, but she doesn't pay attention to her reaction. All she cares about is to stop that person from doing something crazy.

Just as she's about to say something, the train whizzes by, startling the both of them.

She can feel her heart racing as car after car goes by, eventually slowing down to a very slow halt.

The loud hiss from the train breaks snaps her out of it and she drags her further back.

"What are you doing?!" she practically yells at the woman. "This isn't the solution, okay? Whatever it is you're going through, it must be solved another way! This isn't it! You're too young to die!"

The woman in her hold keeps staring at her with wide eyes and mouth agape.

"Look," she says, taking her hand slowly off of the woman's arm, "I'm sure that everything will be alright. Nothing in this world is permanent and that includes our problems. They will pass too, one day. You're young. You still have plenty to do, to see, to achieve. Don't throw your future away, please, no matter how bleak it seems. There is always hope. I believe that. Think about the people who love you. Your family, friends. Don't make them sad."