Chapter 1:

Evelyn's POV:

Hoofbeats

My favourite song

A consistent beat that I will never be tired of hearing

One after the other, echoing through the barrier of everyday life. One after the other, setting me free from the chains of reality

I used to only think of one set of hooves in my mind

Now I had two

Hugo

Navarre

If I had only one wish, it would be to spend every waking moment with them

But there was just one problem with that....

*Beep Beep Beep*

Life is a continuing series of waking up right at the best part...

I sigh as I roll over and smack the snooze button on my alarm clock.

5 am

Not that I wasn't used to waking up this early, it was just that today officially marked the end of summer...

And the start of school...

I sat up and ran a hand through my brown hair, which I had carefully braided after showering so that the strands fell in nice waves instead of fuzzy curls. Across from my bed, hanging on my dresser, was my school uniform. 

A black kilt with black tights, a white dress shirt with a black blazer and black ballet flats.

Black and white were the colors of Alberta Mountains Private school, one of the most exclusive private schools in all of Alberta, my home.

I stifle a yawn as I force myself to get out of bed, making my way over to the curtain covered windows on the far side of my room.

The sun shines in as I draw the curtains back, finding myself in view of the seemingly endless rows of paddocks that belonged to Holloway Stables. My parents, Chèrry and Franklin Holloway, had built our model equestrian facility from the ground up to now being one of the most well-known stables in Canada, specializing in the breeding, training, and sales of top quality horses suitable for any discipline, including my personal favorite, Eventing. Being an event rider myself, growing up at Holloway had really skyrocketed my career and brought me ever-closer to my dreams of riding in the Olympics.

Well, it had just recently been backed to my second dream, after the drama-filled events of this past summer made me realize my newest dream.

To have fun with my friends and family.

My parents had always taken the initiative to push my career first, and for the past 16, almost 17 years of my life, I had gone along with it, pushing the boundaries to win every competition, make myself appear confident for the cameras and interviewers and save very little time for activities that didn't revolve around horses.

Then this summer had rolled around. My parents had let the stables usual grooms and trainers take the summer months off in favor of bringing in a group of up and coming young riders to take care of the horses for the summer, getting the chance to ride for our team in exchange for doing the barn chores.

It was during this event that I had met my friends, Blair, Tina and Ashleigh. After a rocky start, we had all come together and formed a bond that I will never forget.

I laughed quietly to myself as I got dressed. A lot of things had happened this summer that had changed my whole life and I thought about them all in a blur.