Chapter 23:

Evelyn's POV:

Christmas Morning never felt so good!

Life at Holloway was officially back to normal

Well, as normal as life could be at Holloway Stables.

Racing downstairs, still clad in my Christmas themed pajamas, I was surprised to find the living room still dark, not even the Christmas tree was shining.

That was until the whole room lit up in a mass of bright colors, and people emerged from where they had been hiding.

" Happy Birthday Evelyn! "

I smiled as I felt tears prick my eyes. The entire AMPS crew, mom and dad, Darla and Ash gathered around me.

" I thought I said no surprise parties! " I tried to fake being mad but broke into laughter instead.

" We think you deserve it after what you did Eve! " Mom spoke up.

" We still aren't happy that you went off on your 'vigilantly' crusade without telling us, but in the end, you found Beauty " Dad finished. " And that's all that really matters "

I smiled as I hugged them. " Thank you... "

Once we had had our moment, they stepped back as the AMPS crew and Ash approached me.

I hugged Ash, who seemed to be in better spirits since Beauty had been back home. She had even convinced her parents to let her stay with us for the rest of the year.

" Once I finish grade 11, who knows what'll happen, but right now I'm sure that this is the place where I want to be " She had explained to me. " It's been a long time coming, but I finally feel like this is where I belong "

I had been so excited that she wasn't going to be leaving. Holloway wouldn't be the same without her.

" You better not have gotten me an expensive present... " I warned with a playful tone to my voice. We had agreed to only get each other one present this year, but with everything that had happened with Beauty, I had forgotten all about buying her a present.

Luckily, my parents had my back, giving me an idea for Ash's present that I think she would love.

Ash rolled her eyes. " How could I not get something amazing for the girl who saved Beauty? " she walked over to the tree and grabbed a small box from underneath. It was wrapped in a cute red plaid wrapping paper with a green bow on top.

She handed me the box. " Hope you like it... "

I smiled as I slowly unwrapped the box. Inside was one of the most beautiful stock pins I had seen! Silver in color, with a diamond studded horseshoe in the center, it sparkled under the lights.

" Ash... " I looked up at her. " There's no way I can "

She held her hands up. " No way! I'll be offended if you don't take it! " she giggled. " It was the least I could do... "

I pulled her into a hug. " Thank you... "

I could tell we were both getting teary as we stayed hugging each other for a few extra seconds before I pulled away, carefully putting the lid back on the black box, smirking. " Now it's my turn... "

I grabbed her wrist as I led her outside, the others all following us.

" What's going on? " Ash spoke up as I opened the front door, not caring if I got dirt on my feet from the driveway.

I stopped and turned to her. " Cover your eyes... "

She did as I asked and I nodded to dad, who walked over and took Venus from a groom. The mare had her mane braided and was covered in my first gift to Ash.