Chapter 15:

Evelyn's POV:

A whole week had passed by and nothing had come up about Beauty.

At this point I could hear the police telling my parents it may be a lost cause and I had to storm away before I said something I would regret.

This whole situation was a mess

Horses had been hurt, and boarders were worried about their own horses, some even moving their horses to another barn until the person who did this had been caught.

I walked into the barn, which still had police officers walking around, trying to see if they could find any fingerprints on the doors that could lead to the thief. I felt my empty sweater pocket. I had immediately handed over the piece of fabric I had gotten from the thief's hoodie, but not before taking a picture so that Ash and i could do some investigating of our own.

Not only was Holloway's vet on site, but several other vets had been called in to help the more severely injured horses.

" Ash? " I called. " Ashley! "

" She's not here " Darla spoke up as she emerged from one of the pregnant mares stalls. " She had to take a phone call and went back to the house.

I nodded as I peered into the mares stall. " How is she? "

Carla latched the door closed. " Shaken, but Maria said she isn't at risk and neither is the foal "

I sighed with relief, the last thing Holloway needed was a group of mares having abortions due to the stress of last weeks incident.

I followed Darla down the aisle where Holloway's main vet, Dr. Maria Venti was giving Navarre a look over. My younger gelding fidgeted in the crosswise as Dr. Venti stretched his front legs.

" Is he okay? " I spoke up as I rubbed Navarres face to calm him. He sighed as he lowered his head and closed his eyes, resting his nose in my cupped hands.

Dr. Venti smiled as she rubbed his shoulder. " Despite being a bit frightened he seems to be just fine "

I smiled as I kissed Navarres face. At least he was okay.

" Hugo's doing well too " Dr. Venti told me. I frowned when i thought about Hugo. After a fight with colic, he finally seemed to be getting better. Though he still had a fever, the vet assured me his intestines were no longer block, eveident by all the manure we had found in this stall this morning.

I've never been more happy to see manure in my whole life.

" When will he be able to get back into work? " Darla asked.

I hadn't even thought about getting back into work, how could Darla? This event could've cost us horses, Beauty was missing and the person responsible was still out there.

" Evelyn " Darla put a hand on my shoulder. " I'm just trying to get some normalcy back into our lives. Yes, this was scary, but we can't let it cripple us. Doing that would mean that whoever did this would win "

I sighed. She was right. I couldn't let this hold me back. Holloway would come back from this.

We had too.

Dr. Venti cleared her throat. " Well, his fever still isn't down. As soon as it is I'd given him a few weeks for safety, but after winter break he can start back into work, just take it slow at first " she explained. " That goes for most of the horses, except for the stallions. Most of them will need more time to recover from their fighting injuries " she fed Navarre a sugar cube from her pocket. " Although, it's not the physical injuries I'm particularly concerned about, it's their mental state that will be the most challenging to overcome "