Chapter 9:

Evelyn's POV:

We were officially one month into the school year!

Which meant we had 2 and a half more months until winter break, Christmas, and my birthday!

I was born a Christmas baby and I used to hate it, because despite it being a family holiday, my parents always invited a bunch of other business owners to Holloway for an extravagant party. However, this year things were different and I couldn't wait to see what would happen this time around.

I bounded out of my bed early in the morning. Saturday, one of the best days of the week, especially this Saturday, as Jake was coming over to check out some of the new horses, as well as ride Titan with Ash and I.

In record time I was dressed and tiptoeing over to Ash door.

I suddenly froze when I heard her voice, sounding like it was talking to someone over the phone.

Slowly I opened the door a crack and peered inside.

" I miss you too mom... " Ash was sitting at her desk, which was covered in textbooks, paper and pencils. She hadn't seemed to have moved from the position I left her in last night after dinner.

Did she even get any sleep?

" No, everything is perfect here, it's amazing... " Ash ran a hand through her hair. " School is...okay...it's just... " she sighed. " It's a lot mom...I feel like I'm drowning in work both at school and around the stables... "

I bit my lip. Ash really felt that overwhelmed...?

" No way, I'm not coming home. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. If I give up because it's a bit challenging then how would people see me? As a quitter... "

My phone suddenly chimed, the familiar tune being Jakes ringtone.

I quickly silenced it, but there was no way Ash hadn't heard it.

" Hey Ash! " I put on a fake smile and slowly opened the door as if I had just gotten up and dressed.

" Gotta go, love you " Ash quickly hung up and turned in her chair, pretending to stroke an imaginary cat like some sort of evil villain in a spy movie.

" We meet again, Agent Eve! " She fake glared.

I rolled my eyes. " Hilarious " I spoke, deadpanned. " Who were you talking to? "

" Just my mom, she wanted an update on how things were going "

" And? "

Ash stood and walked past me. " And what? I told her the truth, things are amazing here! "

I bit my lip behind her back. I had seen her pale face, sunken in eyes and black sleep lines. She looked nothing like she had at the beginning of the year.

" Are you feeling okay? " I spoke up. " You look sick, and you're in the same clothes as last night "

Ash glanced down at herself as we made our way down for our pancake breakfast. " I'm great! Excited to work out the horses today, and to bug you and Jake all day! " she make kissing faces at me as we entered the kitchen.

I quickly quieted her as we sat down at the table.

Dad put down the newspaper he was reading and smiled at us as mom set down a plate of pancakes for each of us on the table.

" So, what's on the agenda for today girls? "

I immediately dig into the delicious, fluffy white pancakes, notching that Ash was picking at hers slowly. Usually between the two of us, she was the first one done.