Chapter 7:

Evelyn's POV:

" So, how was the auction? "

I looked up from my phone and towards Edwin, who was sitting beside me just outside our bio class Monday morning. We had both finished our tests at the same time and decided to wait for Ash, who was still writing. Before I left I had shot her a sympathetic look. She had studied so hard the entire weekend but still seemed super nervous as we made our way to the classroom, flipping through her notes so quickly it created a bit of a breeze.

" Maybe advanced bio isn't for you " I had told her. " I'm sure my parents would understand if you told them you'd like to drop down to mediate "

She shook her head. " No way, I'm a hundred percent committed to this " she bit her lip slightly. " if I want to work with horses I'll need to understand biology "

I shrugged. " That's true, but advanced bio isn't always the case, you can get by with just having a mediate bio course under your belt. I mean, freshmen year I struggled a ton too, but my parents drilled me on homework and studying constantly that I ended up finishing the year with one of the highest averages in the whole grade "

We had walked side by side into the classroom and took our seats, which were next to each other.

" I know, but advanced bio would look better for university applications "

Ash had told me that she had a dream to become a horse vet after college. It would be useful to be a vet as well as a competitor and I had joked that if I ever took over Holloway, I could get a great vet for free. It had made us laugh.

I came back into focus just as the bell rang. Ash still wasn't out of the classroom still and as much as I wanted to wait for her, I could risk detention if I was late to my next class without a decent excuse.

Edwin and I reluctantly stood and started towards the other side of the school, where my English class and his advanced physics were.

" The auction was okay, but I didn't enjoy the fact that I had to compete against Jake's mom for Rocky " I replied, remembering the look on Celetes face when the announcer sold the gorgeous thoroughbred to me.

" That's the Bold Ruler related one, correct? " Edwin asked.

I nodded. Ash and I had sent our horses show names to him shortly after we had returned on Sunday. After a few hours Edwin had sent us back all the information he could find on each of our horses. While most of them had good blood lines (As to be expected with their starting price point) none was better than Rocky, who turned out to be the great-grand foal of the legendary Bold Ruler, famous racehorse and sire to the one and only Secretariat, the most famous racehorse in history. Ash and I had been thrilled, but my parents had been even more thrilled with the breeding prospects that could come from the stallion.

" Now, even though we bought the horses " They had explained to Ash and I. " We'd like you two girls to make their plans for the future, wether it be to race them, training them for different disciplines or breed them, that'll all be up to you for the horses you have chosen "

I was thrilled at the chance to get a real taste of what it took deciding a horses career, something that was usually reserved for my parents and/or Darla, it was giving both of us a hint of what it took to run a business as top notch as Holloway.

I nodded at Edwin as I pulled a notebook from my bag. " Yep, I've already started making a list of what I think he should be doing as a career " I explained.

Edwin took the notebook as I handed it to him and scanned it over. " He's three, but tall for his age and still has a lot of growing to do " he read aloud. " You want him to race and breed, that sounds like a good plan, is he fast? "