Chapter 6: Blame

Chapter 6: Blame

Amber and Andie left me just a few minutes ago here in the infirmary while I just sent a text to Uncle Erwin and Aunt Hanji making them aware about Shaun's condition.

I put down my smartphone in the bedside table and sighed in the chair just by his bed. There he is, the strongest Shaun I've known was lying on a medical bed unconscious covered with bruises and injured.

I felt entirely guilty for abandoning him even if I shouldn't because I already know that it wasn't my fault. Amber kept telling me that. But I was helpless.

I've been staring at his frail state when somebody turned the knob, opening the door and showing people in white coats holding different hospital apparatus. As soon as they saw my presence, a man in a long coat rained me questions.

"Are you the patient's significant other? I assume." The medical director asked making me startle.

"No, I'm his bestfriend." I enlighten his misinterpretation.

"Oh," The doctor chuckled as he grabbed the stethoscope hanging from his shoulders. "Anyway, I'll just check on the patient."

I nodded, staying quiet on my seat as he do some check up on Shaun when he spoke again after retrieving his stethoscope from Shaun's chest and pressing the injure on Shaun's leg.

"How did the patient got his injure?"

"They were playing football that time when one of their opponents hit his joint making Shaun fall back and hit his back," I looked up. "Add the kick he did to the back of his knee."

The doctor nodded slowly, taking in my words to observe his condition. "I see..."

The nurse beside him took notes of my reports when the question struck my mind.

"When will he be awake?" I ask.
"He must have hit his back really hard making himself unconscious," he explained. "But he should be awake after a few hours, don't worry."

"But how was the leg?"

"About that...." the doctor took a deep breath. "We didn't know yet unless he wakes up so we could get an x-ray of his bone. Just let us know ASAP and we should bring him to the hospital."

I nod. Hoping it's nothing serious... his team's hopes were also on him.

"Can I ask where are his parents?" The doctors asked.

"They're on the way..." I answered.

He nodded and his medical team left us two alone. I started to think of their opponents once again. Aren't those even feeling guilt or conscience about someone getting hurt with their own hands? Ha. They should be reported and get disqualified. I really despise them.

A few moments later, the door clashed open again revealing Aunt Hanji, extremely anxious. I could feel her.

"Yaunna! How was Shaun?" She quickly rushed beside her son.

"The doctor said he was fine except for his leg which its condition is still not yet identified unless he's x-rayed." I told her what happened lately. "By the way, where's Erwin?"

"He's talking to the school director and the doctor." Hanji was visibly worried and like wasn't the ecstatic herself.

I simply nodded before telling her the story that's being asked ever since that happened. Hanji started to infuriate as soon as I told her everything.

"That was against the rules!" Her wrath echoed. "They should disqualified that team."

"I strongly agree..." I said when the door suddenly opened again with the appearance of Erwin and surprisingly my parents. Mom closed the door before approaching me with Dad.