21

Staring at the water absentmindedly, Evan let her mind wander. Earlier that morning when she saw the paper, she was angry and upset, but now she was just hurt and tired. Tired of never measuring up or being enough. How come she couldn't ever catch a break? After years of striving, and still she didn't make the cut.

And she couldn't really even be mad about it, looking back on it every 'sign' from Cedric had just been her instigating everything and him being too kind to do anything to embarrass her. Too bad that him trying to spare her feelings had embarrassed her to the entire Wizarding World. She should be expecting an owl from her father any day demanding what the moving magazine was saying (curse Dumbledore for getting him subscribed to the Daily Prophet).

Cedric and Cho belonged together though, she could see that. Top of their classes, nice to a fault, AND quidditch prodigies. Evan was just an odd girl with an overactive imagination.

Pulling her knees to her chest, she leaned against the tree and tried to hide from everything, wishing she were a tree. Oh to have no troubles and get to witness such a view forever. Quick approaching footsteps pulled her out of her head and caused her to shrink even more into the tree, not wanting to have to explain her presence to anyone. The footsteps passed her and towards the shore of the lake, revealing their back to Evan. Her eyes narrowed suspiciously as she recognized the boy whom was just on her mind.

When would she catch a break?

Knowing she wouldn't be able to worm her way out of this, Evan mentally prepared herself for the conversation ahead of her, though she had no clue what to say. Taking one last deep breath, Evan stood up, which caught the attention of Cedric. He whipped around and stumbled over to her hastily, eyes bewildered.

"Evan, I've been looking for you! I need to explain..."

"Cedric, it's okay. I get it, okay? Cho is the better option anyways and whatever this is" gesturing between the two of them "could've never lasted anyways, there's too much pulling us apart. I was just wishful thinking, I'm sorry if I messed things up with you and Cho, but you should've just been honest with me," she said defeated.

"Look at me Evan," Cedric said, grabbing her chin and gently forcing it up so she couldn't avoid her eyes. "You want the truth? What happened with Cho was not what you or everyone else in the wizarding world thinks. She was talking to me before I got ready and surprised me when she kissed me and before I could even react, Skeeter was there was there with her damned camera. I was blindsided, and definitely didn't want to be kissed by Cho. I wanted to tell you as soon as it happened but then the whole ordeal where I had to fight a dragon and the hospital and my mind was just running so fast. The truth is Evan, when Cho surprised me, my first thought was of you and how I wished you were who I saw instead of Cho. The truth is when I entered the arena, your face was the only thing that kept me from completely losing it. I don't know what is it about you, but you make me want to do more than just go through the motions. You make me laugh, and smile, and dream. I never thought about dreaming until I met you, Evan. You make me better. I understand that I hurt you and if you can't forgive me I understand, but I just needed to let you know how I felt," he finished, terrified this would be it.

Looking up, Evan's face was streaming with tears, sadness evident in her eyes. "Cedric, I appreciate that, and I'm sure you mean all of that, but I just can't. This is too much for me, I just need space from everything. I need to go," and she ran off, leaving a defeated Cedric in the dust.

———

hey guys! so i'm sorry it's been forever since an update, I'm working at a summer camp the entire month of June and have been super busy and don't have signal when I'm out there so I'll only be able to post one week at a time!!

What do y'all think is going to happen next? Also hoping to get to the Yule Ball soon eep! Excited to see where they're at for that whole situation hmmm.

I'll try to have a new chapter for y'all Saturday, we'll see! Also sorry for the abundance of errors, I'm literally typing everything on my phone lmao