32

Evan's POV

The inside of the Great Hall had been transformed into something straight out of a winter wonderland, she could hardly believe it was the same room. Everything glittered white and silver and looked completely unreal, no space untouched by the decorations. Evan couldn't help the wide eyed look she knew was on her face as she walked in with the other Champions. Snow was enchanted to fall from the ceiling, drawing her eyes upward and away from all of the eyes that followed both her and Cedric as they made their way to the floor to start the first dance.

She quickly glanced around before moving her eyes to Cedric beside her, who looked to be the picture of calm. He saw her looking at him and sent her a quick wink while squeezing her hand tight, before moving his hand to her waist and pulling her closer in preparation for the start of the dance.

I am still here. I am not leaving you.

Despite hours of practicing, they were still horrible at it as they spent most of the hours practicing stepping on each others' toes and laughing too hard. Evan regretted not taking it seriously now but knew there was nothing to be done. Her stomach was invaded with nerve bubble so quickly, leaving her terribly overwhelmed. Feeling the eyes of everyone on them, hearing the music rise up to start, and being overly aware of just how much more impressive every other Champion is than her, towering over her, even Cedric who is so impressive made her feel small.

I am still here. I am not leaving you.

Her eyes snapped back to the eyes of those whom her soul remembered and responded to. Calm settled back over her. How crazy that just one look and she feels relief so quickly. This, being here in his arms, she knew this was home. Safe. The music started and instead of rushing in nervousness, Evan felt tranquility looking up at the boy who protected her, and who now looked at her with such adoration she could do nothing but smile back. They flowed and worked together almost seamlessly, with only a few missteps due mostly in part to Evan being over eager. The music graced over them and their dance continued, sweeping along the floor with ease and familiarity. Though other people joined the dance, still Evan and Cedric didn't notice, too entranced by each other.

Only after a certain blonde "accidentally" bumped into them to let them know they had been dancing far longer than they realized and that they needed to get food before the band went on. Laughing while running off the dance floor to grab some drinks, Evan's nervousness had been completely abandoned to giddiness at all the excitement. A warm flush left her feeling more alive, her eyes dancing on anything her eyes landed on. Cedric had a small smug look on his face while he watched her, not saying anything while she just spun around to take in the splendor of everything, not realizing to Cedric that she was the most stunning thing in the room by far.

Rolling her eyes to stop the blush from creeping up even further on her cheeks. Dragging him along to the tables where the drinks were, seeking to sate her parched throat. Chugging down two before Cedric could even finish one, Evan had never tasted something so sweet and refreshing, she couldn't get enough.

Two more down before she even thought about it. A warm feeling settled in her stomach, making her feel weightless. Wonderful.

"Um have you ever had firewhiskey before Evan?" Cedric laughed, looking at her like she was absolutely mad.

"No, why?" She asked, not yet catching on.

"Well that is shocking considering you just downed four cups of it without hesitating. Both concerning and impressive."

The slight weightlessness she was experiencing suddenly made more sense, panic overriding the alcohol momentarily.

"Oh no. Cedric I've literallyneverhadalcoholbeforewhatisitgonnadotome? AmIdrunkrightnow? DumbledoreisgoingtokillmewhatdoIdo? CedricstoplaughingthisishorrifyingIneedhelp" she sputtered, feelign completely out of control of her body.

"Just breathe, you're going to be fine, I'll keep my eyes on you and won't let you do anything too stupid. You'll be fine do not stress! Let's just have a good night!"

And with that she was pulled back onto the dancefloor which had turned into more for a mosh pit than anything else. Clutching tightly to his hand, Evan let herself just lose herself for the first time in a long time and let the music take. Tonight is going to be good. 

---------------------------------

Hey guys this is so crazy and I can't promise that this is a regular thing but after YEARS of not being able to finish this story I am feeling inspired to at least attempt to finish again. Because of the HUGE hiatus, I will 100% mess up details so please comment if you see a disparity /fake news anywhere I would love to be able to fix it. Thanks for all the love of this story, y'all are the only reason I am back is because I just couldn't leave this story unfinished. Would love to connect and hear what y'all wanna see next!!! Be patient with updates, I am in grad school now and have to read 5 books a week while working full time, and definitely pray for me if you're the praying type. Pushing through!!