28

In the weeks before the Yule Ball, everyone was running around like a chicken with their head cut off. Boys were scrambling to ask girls, girls were actively finding situations where they would "happen" across a group of boys who still didn't have dates. Schemes were being executed, deals being made, and lots of people's egos were being shot. Just yesterday, Cedric had to tell Evan about Fleur trying to seduce him with her veela voodoo so that he would take her to the dance. Even after explaining that he was taking Evan, Fleur kept propositioning him. Although it was hilarious to hear Cedric awkwardly recount how he had to spell out for her that he wouldn't escort her to the dance.  Thinking about the whole situation now, though, made her nervous for herself, knowing that Fleur probably isn't used to being told no and may harbor a slight resentment for Evan now, although she hoped that wasn't the case. 

Shaking out her thoughts, she tried to work on her homework she had for Herbology, but after only a few minutes looking over her textbook, Becca barged into their room with a ferocity unmatched by even the most aggressive Chasers. She was practically bouncing off the wall, wearing the biggest smile Evan had ever seen. 

"What's got you looking like that? Did you just win the lottery?" Evan sat up, forgetting her homework completely. 

"What is the lottery? Anyways, my mom just sent me my dress for the Yule ball that she made for me! I need to try it on!" Becca squealed, already ripping off her robes to throw the gown on. Evan watched expectantly while Becca fit herself into the dress, excited to see how beautiful she would look in it.

 Within in moments, she had thrown the dress on and was finishing up with the buttons. After readjusting it, Becca did a twirl to show off the magical material. It clung to her willowy frame in all the right areas, then flowed out, looking alluring as ever. It was backless, which I knew the boys would appreciate The color was a pink champagne color, with rose gold accents all over, adding an immediate air of sophistication and mystique to her.  Even without makeup on,  it was clear that she was beautiful and mature, a look that Evan had always envied and desired. 

"Oh Rebecca, you look like an empress about to wreck havoc. There is no way that Dallas, or any guy really, won't be drooling over you all night. Your mom is dangerously good at what she does, let her know you look fabulous!" Evan gushed. "What are you thinking about with your hair and everything?" 

She had a pensive look on her face, clearly determined to find the perfect way to tie her outfit together. Evan could tell that she was at a cross roads and just couldn't decide, so she offered up her own opinion to give her some options. "I think you absolutely need a dark lip, since the color of the dress is light, just to further the sophistication of the dress. As for your hair... Hmm... Personally the back is just so flattering on you, that I think to have your hair down would distort and take from that, so you would look wonderful with it up in a braid or something, although I'm obviously not the expert considering I don't even have a dress yet, and the ball is this week," Evan commented. 

"Oh yes I think you are so right. I think also the dress is busy enough that I really just need simple jewelry. As for you not having a dress, have you written your sister? She has splendid taste in occasions such as this! If we'd had more time I could've had my mother make one for you too but I'm afraid it wouldn't be done in it, although I can still owl her and beg if you would like," Becca replied, nervous for Evan not even having a plan for a dress yet. 

"Oh no no it's alright, I wrote to my sister, she is sending me one of her dresses for me to wear, I'm just  a bit nervous that it won't fit, but I know a few spells that would surely help me out a bit. I just feel nervous because the champions and their dates are introduced and share a dance in front of everyone. I just know I'm going to be the worst one, and my dress will undoubtedly be the most plain. I don't even want to know what Fleur is going to wear. I just don't want to embarrass Cedric on his big night because I am just a mudblood with two left feet,
 Evan muttered, growing more discouraged by the second.

 She plopped dramatically on her and let herself feel the wait of everything, if even just for a moment. Burying her head into a pillow, realizing there was a certain nervousness that she just recognized in the pit of her stomach that had been eating her up for the past week. The looming presence of both the Ball and the Second Task did nothing to help her already high anxiety, knowing how much weight both of those events carried. 

"I need to go talk to Cedric, I just feel way off about this whole thing," Evan sprang up and left Becca still in her dress, thoughts consuming her as she raced to find the one person she thoght could help.

___________________ 

Hello friends! Long long long time no see! Last year was a hard year and I had a lot of personal stuff going on that I'm just now starting to sort out, but really do want to finish this guy. For those of you who are still sticking with me, I appreciate y'all so much and want y'all to enjoy this story! 

What are we thinking so far? Things I could improve on? Things you like? Predictions or ideas for the next few chapters?