30

ITS YULE BALL TIME LETS GOOOOO

"If you aren't finished soon at this rate, I'll be bald by the time I leave for the ball!" Evan winced, her hair being yanked from her head by a determined Rebecca.

"You have no idea how impossible your hair is being right now, there's nothing to be done!" Rebecca said, dramatically throwing the brush, now completely full of curly blonde hair. Unlike Evan, who had just begun getting ready with just over an hour until they were supposed to leave for the dance, Rebecca looked like a princess straight out of a fairy tale story. Her snow white skin contrasted her dark hair and dark red lips, with her blush pink dress adding to the glamour of her look. She looked like Snow White had a glowup. With her heels on, she towered over Evan's small frame. Insecurity rose up in Evan, knowing there was no way that she would look as beautiful as Becca even if she could figure out what to do with her hair. Just like always, she was having to play catch up with her perfect friends, but her tiny legs just couldn't do it. Instead of letting that comparison take a hold of her heart though, she brushed it off and wanted to instead celebrate her friend.

"Rebecca, you are actually radiant tonight, there won' t be a soul there that will be able to keep their eyes off you, how do you do it?" Evan gushed over her friend, her nervousness over not being ready AT ALL growing in her chest

Rebecca's eyes softened, no doubt sensing the rising panic in Evan's eyes. "You're going to look amazing, we just need to get you to get started! Go condition your hair with extreme urgency so we can actually brush it, then I can work on your makeup and hopefully Katherine will be here by then to help out as well. We'll have you ready for your prince in no time," Becca said while pushing Evan towards the bathroom.

10 minutes later and Evan's hair was wet, making it much easier for Becca to brush and fix up. While Evan was in the shower, Katherine showed up looking like a fairy with her blonde hair in loose curls and a simple but flattering soft purple dress on. Where Becca looked classy and regal, Kat was whimsical and enchanting. Evan said a prayer for a miracle, nervous to walk out with them by her, hoping she wouldn't be too overshadowed.

Plucking and straightening and patting and smearing went on for another 30 minutes by her two best friends while Evan sat completely still, putting complete trust in her friends

Plucking and straightening and patting and smearing went on for another 30 minutes by her two best friends while Evan sat completely still, putting complete trust in her friends. She'd never been good at makeup, even growing up her younger sister was born to apply makeup and fix up hair so Evan never had the need to.

"Oh you guys we haven't used up all the film on my disposable camera yet, we should take pictures before we leave so I can send them to my sister to develop for us!" Evan suggested while continuing to be poked and prodded.

"We just have a few more touches and the boys will be here any minute and you still don't have your shoes on, maybe bring it with you to the ball to get some action shots," Kat said, concentrating heavily on the work at hand.

"Your hair is finished! It looks amazing if I do say so myself," Becca squealed, clearly pleased with her work. She then ran towards the bathroom, Evan unable to see what she was up to due to having to sit still. The onslaught of makeup by Kat stopped too, allowing Evan to open her eyes finally.

"Go run and put your dress and shoes on really fast, we don't have much time!" Evan scurried up and ran to her tiny little closet, finding her dress exactly where she left it hanging up, with her shoes underneath. She slipped it on, making sure not to mess up her hair or makeup in the process. Shimmying in, she then slipped on her pink heels, nervous to see the finished product. Before she could look in the mirror, Becca ran up to hand her earrings that went with her dress perfectly, and a little diamond necklace that looked all too familiar.

"How did you get that necklace? That's at my dad's home, I'm sure of it!" Evan asked, confused and a little shocked at seeing her mum's staple necklace here in front of her instead of with her dad and sister.

"Macy sent me a package the same day she sent you that dress and told me to make you wear it no matter what, so go ahead and turn around."

Obliging, Evan couldn't believe her sister had sent her that necklace. It was sacred in their family, it never left the jewelry box that held all of mum's things. After it was fastened and the earrings were on, Evan got to look in the mirror. She saw herself and honestly couldn't believe it. Her hair was pulled away from her face and in soft waves that went far down her back, much longer than it was when in the usual tight curls. Her makeup accentuated her features without looking unnatural or too much, highlighting her blue eyes strikingly and still leaving her cluster of freckles visible on her cheeks and nose. The dress was undoubtedly made for her. When her sister sent it without consulting Evan first, she was a bit nervous because of how nontraditional it was compared to other girl's dresses, but looking at herself now, couldn't imagine wearing anything else. The dress was a black satin dress that was sleeveless but had mesh longleeves with polka dots that were multicolored, definitely adding a bit of fun to it. it was backless with the mesh covering her back with more polka dots adding to the  fun of the dress. The front had almost enough plunge to be scandalous but actually just looked flattering. It came in at the waist, then falling loose over her hips, making her look way more curvy than she realized she was. Her bright pinks shoes peaking out underneath the dress tied the entire outfit together, perfectly matching some of the polka dots on the mesh. She looked much better than she was expecting and the nerve over everything disappeared. She had this. She twirled and loved the way the dress moved so freely.

"Evan you look hot right now, Cedric will absolutely not know what to do with himself when he sees you. Actually, he'll probably have to fight every other guy there that won't be able to stop looking at you. Just wow," Kat said with full sincerity, her smile growing at the thought. Rebecca nodded in agreement, a knowing look in her eyes. They grabbed their bags, Evan forced them to take one picture on the camera, even though they thought it was foolish that the pictures wouldn't move when it was developed, then they left their room in search of the boys.

At the bottom of the stairs in the common room, Dallas and Cameron stood, all cleaned up looking around nervously. Seeing the girls, both of their mouths hit the floor. Dallas' eyes were glued to Becca, glazed over with awe. Evan and Kat looked at each other slyly while Becca blushed at his look. Reaching the bottom, Cameron quickly regained his composure, but Dallas was absolutely hopeless. Evan looked around the room for Cedric, not seeing him anywhere but trying not to be too disappointed.

Cameron saw her looking around and answered the question she was wondering, "Dumbledore showed up here 20 minutes ago because he needed to talk to Cedric urgently and told me to tell you that he would meet us outside of the ball, he was frustrated he couldn't escort you the whole way there but Dumbledore seemed insistent. Now I gotta go pick up my date but I'll see you guys inside," and with that, he left the four of them alone.

Though she understood, Evan still wished she could just see Cedric, knowing he could calm all of the thoughts regarding the ball. Kat grabbed her shoulders and gave them a squeeze to reassure her that everything would be fine. "I'm meeting Darian right outside the doors too so we can escort each other there." They linked arms and walked out of the common room, Dallas and Becca following close behind.

------

Hey guys! Another update! Crazy right? It's winter break finally so Im hoping to really cover some ground with this story. Hope you guys are liking it, I know it's not perfect but I appreciate the support and the fact that y'all are reading my story, it means so much! If you see any errors let me know, currently not reading over anything bc im lazy oops.

Also just watched Goblet of Fire the other day and just get wrecked every time. Let me know what you guys thought of this chapter!