22

The feeling of overwhelming hopelessness and defeat tackled Cedric to the same spot against the tree where a certain crazy haired girl had rejected him. He wanted to be mad at Cho and Rita, but he knew deep down he was the cause of all his own troubles.

Why didn't he just tell her how he felt? Why wasn't he brave enough to put himself out there sooner?

For minutes or hours, Cedric sat there glowering. He wanted to chase after Evan and make things right but knew he was the last person she wanted to see right now. Pulling at his hair, Cedric stood up and made his way back to the castle, shoulders slumped and heart hurting.

——————

Several weeks passed without any trace of Evan, though Cedric seemed to see her friends around every corner and behind every door. He knew she needed space, and respected that, but honestly it was the last thing he wanted right now.

"Cedric, you need to get over yourself. There are so many girls out there dying for you to ask them to the Yule Ball and you're still moping about Evan. Maybe if you ask someone else she'll get jealous and realize how silly she's being. Times running out and you have to have a date or else the Champions Dance is going to be terribly awkward for you, be logical man," Cameron hammered at Cedric, who he caught in the common room waiting for "someone".

"I know, Cameron, okay? I get it, I'm being illogical, but this girl is driving me insane! Evan is the only one I want to ask to the dance, but she disappeared off the face of the earth! I haven't seen her anywhere yet she seems to haunt me. Do you know what that's like? I can't get over her yet I must. I just need a little bit more time, it gets better with time, right?" Cedric responded, aspirated with how the last few weeks have been. Not only did he miss Evan, but he missed the friendship that she gave him. He couldn't seem to figure out the clue within the egg and knew Evan would know how to solve it. 

While his mind was fixed on the predicament regarding the egg, Dallas walked into the common room with the reminiscent of a smile on his face. Looking over at his two friends, he leisurely walked over to them and plops down on the couch, still quietly laughing. 

"What's got you all smiling, Williams? What's so funny?" a very agitated Cameron asked the still smiling Dallas. 

"I just got done studying with Rebecca and Evan and it is just so enlightening to hang out with them, they are just so funny. Rebecca was talking about the Yule Ball and I just randomly got super motivated and asked her and she looked at me like I was dumb. Y'all, I thought  I was about to die from embarrassment and was just about to ramble out an apology when she straight up said, "You idiot, we were already going together," and then continued talking to Evan as if nothing happened. I'm going to the Yule Ball with Rebecca Clarke and I just still haven't processed that entire situation. Wow." Dallas' face was still lit up, while Cameron's held a look of utter shock. 

"You. Going to the ball. With Rebecca Clarke. One of the hottest girls at our school. How? Honestly what is happening. First Cedric actually expresses interest in a girl, gets rejected by said girl, and Dallas is escorting one of the most sought after person at Hogwarts. I just can't handle all of this anymore," and with that, Cameron let in a huff to retire to their room, leaving a silent Cedric with Dallas. 

Trying to break the building tension, knowing his mention of Evan would irk Cedric, Dallas tried to think of what to say to ease the awkwardness. Several uncomfortable minutes passed while Dallas continued to brainstorm Evan-free subjects when Cedric finally decided to congratulate his friend. "Hey man, that's awesome about Rebecca. Honestly didn't think you'd have it in you to ask her so that's a big moment for you. Do you have your dress robes yet?" Cedric said politely, trying to be happy for his friend but dying to ask about Evan. 

After several minutes of Dallas going on and on about the dress robes his mom sent him, he saw the look in Cedric's eyes and knew exactly what he was thinking. "Man, you just need to talk to her. I know she still doesn't have a date, and she's such a forgiving person, I think you talking to her could go a long way."

"There's no way. Even now with the whole fiasco behind us, she's always going to be comparing me to Christian in the back of her mind because of what happened. I can't ask her to be reminded of all the crap he put her through just so I can be happy. I just wish I could go back and fix everything," Cedric let out a heavy sigh at his current state. The common room door opened and for a moment Cedric's heart jumped thinking it was Evan, but instead Rebecca walked in. Seeing them, she walked over to join them on the couch.

 "How are we doing, fellas? Someone is looking a little pathetic tonight," nodding in Cedric's direction in a teasing voice.

"Poor Cedric is trying to work up the nerve to ask Evan to the ball but can't seem to talk himself up. How he can face a dragon without fear but cower at the prospect of talking to a girl is beyond me," Dallas commentated dramatically. 

"Oh, he should be scared. Just consider yourself lucky Katherine hasn't found y'all when your not in public or you'd be dead. You really hurt her, Cedric. After all that has happened, you were her one safe place and even you turned out to let her down. You're going to have to completely sweep her off her feet in order to win her back over, and I don't see that ever happening." Rebecca explained. 

"Would a grand gesture actually win her over? How can I do that? Please help me, Rebecca, I really do care for your friend, Cedric pleaded, Dallas mumbling "more than he cares to admit," at the end, just loud enough for them to barely hear him. Shaking her head and laughing, Rebecca leaned closer and helped them scheme, commenting on the "hopelessness" of the two of them.

--------------------

This is kind of a filler chapter, next chapter will liven it up a bit more but I just wanted to try and get something out since it's been so long since I've written. Also sorry but I didn't proofread and if you saw errors please go comment where so I can check, I wrote this at  1 in the morning. 

Hope y'all are having an amazing summer! Will be writing super soon!