Chapter 2

Despite being the favored slave of the Obsidian, I didn't have many things. A few sets of underthings, a backup tuxedo dress for the auctions, a simple cotton nightgown, the heels I wore now and a backup pair of flats, and a day dress for when the auctions weren't going on. The only truly personal items I owned were a book of poems by Edgar Allan Poe, and the one true item of luxury my mother had owned; an antique silver hair comb encrusted with rubies. It was the only kind thing Carmichael had ever done for me, giving me the hair comb.

All other items I owned were the necessities for keeping good hygiene. I packed everything up in one of the bags we used to carry the items of the merchandise sold, zipping the small bag and then setting it on my shoulder.

I returned to the lobby, where Carmichael stood, pacing the carpet. He looked up, and the next thing I knew he was standing directly in front of me, hands firmly placed on my shoulders.

"You know who Aravos, King of The Northern Territory is?" He asked lowly. I peered up at him, blinking and then nodding.

"Of course." I answered calmly.

"Good. Aravos is an Ancient, some say even a progenitor to the race of vampires. He is powerful beyond measure." Carmichael explained. I cocked my head to the side, watching him.

I smiled, "You seem scared of him, master." I cooed. Carmichael went rigid, his eyes widening for a split second before they narrowed into a glare. His grip on my shoulders became painfully tight.

"I always knew that smart mouth was still hidden in there somewhere," He sneered, and then gave my shoulders a good shake. It didn't hurt, but it did make my head rattle for a second. "I'm telling you this for your own good, Syla. You can't live as long as that man and have any conscience left. You must not slip up, not show a single emotion. I don't know why they've taken an interest in you, but if they're willing to pay that much, I cannot stand in their way."

I stepped back from Carmichael, still smiling. "You needn't worry. I am the product of your lessons. There was never any room for weakness. You, though, you seem to still carry some. Weaknesses, I mean. How terribly embarrassing for one so old." For a split second, Carmichael raised his hand, ready to slap me for my insult, but then froze, and placed his back down by his side. He gave a sigh, stepping away from me.

"You are no longer mine. One day, you will realize what a tragedy that is." I gave a final, mocking curtsy to Carmichael, and then he left to retrieve Alexandre. The young vampire who had bought me walked out with a swagger in his step, more confident then any his age should reasonably be. His maker must have spoiled him.

"Ready to go, Syla?" He asked, holding out an open hand to me. He smiled at me in a way that was kind and considerate, and it threw me through a loop. Consideration was not something I was used to receiving. I placed my hand in his, and even allowed him to take the bag off of my shoulder and place it on his. He lead me out of the Obsidian, and into the moonlit parking lot.

It was strange, seeing the night sky. It wasn't like I'd never seen it before, but, we humans generally were not allowed outside. I'd seen the sun and moon through my bedroom window only, and the drawings I might have seen in books or artwork. Feeling it hitting my skin now, and the soft breeze brushing against me, it was like a whole different world than my own.

I didn't realize I'd stopped walking until I felt a gentle tug on my hand. Alexandre smiled at me, eyes alight with amusement, and some other emotion I could only describe as warm.

"Have you never seen the night sky before?" He asked softly. I glanced at him, and then continued walking.

"Not without glass in front of it." I admitted. His smile changed; it hadn't quite dropped to a frown, but the smile no longer reached his eyes. Instead, his eyes  softened into a way that looked like pity.