Chapter 5

AN: Warning; shit gets real, and you get a peek into the darkness that is Syla's mind. 

Rating has been bumped to Mature.

...

I met Maddie at the door to Compton's office. She had gotten there before me, but it didn't appear that she got there so much earlier that she was suspicious. Instead, she smiled and waved at me, and asked me if I had a hard time making my way through the club without her.

I smiled back, and told her that it was a bit confusing.

We walked inside of the office, both of us immediately curtsying to the vampires in the room. Maddie headed over to hand Alexandre the drink she had gone back for, whilst I headed first for Aravos, handing him the drink without werewolf's blood. His eyes darted down to glance at me, feigning boredom, but there was a glint of something fascinated within his eyes, and it only seemed to intensify when he looked at me.

I moved towards Compton, giving him a curtsy and then holding out the glass for him. For a moment, a spike of panic settled into my heart. The human blood in the glass should cover up the scent of the werewolf blood, but ancients may be able to catch a whiff of it. I had no idea how old Compton was.

Then, he took the glass and immediately took a long indulgent swallow from the glass, and waved me off. I felt relieved, but I kept my expression in a perfect mask, walking back over to stand slightly behind Alexandre.

"You know it's nearly impossible to tell just from looking at them, Aravos. I'll need to have a taste to know." Compton and Aravos were both pointedly not looking at me, whereas Alexandre had been giving me nervous glances the second I had walked into the room.

Obviously, their private conversation had been about me.

"I'm afraid I can't allow that. If someone must drink from her, it will be me." Aravos answered coldly. Compton shrugged his shoulders in response.

"I know the taste of them better than anyone, but the decision is yours." Compton took another long drink, more than half of the glass gone now. His eyes wandered over to stare at me, the unmistakable glint of hunger shining brightly in his violet orbs. "She is such a lovely little treat, isn't she? Too bad it looks like Carmichael broke her before anyone else could get to her. I have a feeling she used to have quite the fire in her. It must've been so beautiful to see it get snuffed out." I blinked owlishly.

He downed the rest of the glass of blood.

I kept my expression schooled, but vindictive satisfaction spread through me.

"Stop looking at her like that!" Alexandre snapped out, clenching his fists at his sides as he glared at Compton. A slithery smirk spread across Compton's face.

"But she's so delicious looking. I don't think I'd drain her dry; I'd keep her around a bit, drink from her little by little. Who knows, maybe she'd even be my own personal fuck slave." He taunted. Alexandre, moved forward to attack, but was stopped as Aravos held out a hand.

"Vulgar as usual, Compton. We'll be leaving now." Aravos said dismissively. I almost frowned; I didn't want to leave yet. I wanted to watch the werewolf blood destroy him from the inside out. I wanted to watch him bleed.

Aravos motioned me to walk. I turned on my heel, following him and Alexandre out the door, and out of the club.

...

Late the next evening, I was called to Aravos' office. Before anyone had shared any details with me I knew exactly why I was being called to his office. Whether he suspected me or not, it made no difference. He would question me on the night's events.