Chapter 15

AN: Hello lovelies! New chapter a little early, to make up for being late last time. I don't know how I feel about this chapter content wise, but it's fine for now. Meh. I do hope you enjoy the chapter despite my own uncertainties about it. Please review below, and if you see any grammar or spelling mistakes, please point them out! Thanks guys! 

^^^  Outfit for the chapter.

PS. I really like this song because I feel like it connects the two leading ladies in this chapter, showing their similarities. 

...

Isolde stuck to her word about her slaves learning from me. The older girl, Lia, was timid and meek. She had learned the worst kind of lessons as a slave, and that was that showing fragility would perhaps protect her. It was the wrong lesson to learn. Mara was different; Mara was sixteen, and she'd grown up in a noble's household, rather than spending the first years of her life at an auction house. She had a story similar to my own, her mother being a favored slave of a powerful vampire, and it had kept her safer than most other humans in our world. Her mother had fallen ill and died two years ago, and her master was not sentimental like Carmichael was. He had lost her in a game of poker to Kane, who had gifted her to Isolde. That was several months ago.

The girl should've learned some form of obedience by now, especially under the 'care' of Isolde. She hadn't, and it was going to get her killed. Worse, she would suffer beforehand. I'd heard stories about how Isolde treated unruly slaves. It was one of the reasons why Carmichael wouldn't sell me to her, despite her insistence.

"How did you become an assistant?" Lia asked softly, eyes never leaving the floor. The two had been following me around all day, at the orders of Isolde. Mara stared at the ground, but for a different reason. She was openly scowling, having hardly said two words to me today. I imagine Isolde had given her a very clear warning about how she should act today.

I would've felt bad for her if she wasn't being so insufferable.

"The Obsidian is different from most Auction houses; they train slaves in a multitude of different ways, so as to make servants more useful than mere pleasure or household upkeep. Along with training feeders, they train servants like myself, who are capable of running households, completing secretarial duties, and hosting people and parties." I explained simply, transferring a stack of folders on to my desk and then reaching for another stack. The Royal Summit was only a couple of months away, and Aravos was responsible for hosting it this year, something which he had quickly pawned off to me.

He was giving me the distinct impression that he was somewhat antisocial.

"But...weren't you a servant of the Obsidian?" Lia continued shyly, for the first time looking up to glance at me. She looked back down quickly when I met her gaze.

"Yes." I answered simply, walking away from my desk, the two girls following after me quickly.

Mara scoffed lowly. I ignored her. I met with Karissa in her studio, a squeal of excitement leaving the beautiful vampire when she saw me. She dropped her art pad and pencil, brushing charcoal off on her white skirt as she rushed across the room and pulled me into a bone-crushing hug. I didn't hug her back, but she was used to that by now.

She pulled back, still smiling brightly, pushing wisps of hair behind my ear. Karissa looked as lovely as always, her tights curls smoothed back, a braid crown circling the top of her head and making her look even more elegant than usual.

"What brings you to my mad workshop?" She asks, dancing away from me and retrieving her art pad and pencil off the ground, only to deposit them carelessly upon her desk. I couldn't help a small quirking of my lip.