Chapter 9

AN: So, I lied. If you read my quick post about the chapter being super long, anyways. As I was writing, I realized just how freaking long it would be if I left it, and that it could be another few days before I updated, so I decided to break it up into two chapters. So, this is a shorter chapter. 

^^^ Up above is Syla's dress. 

...

There was a lot to be done before I would head to the party with Alexandre, and kill a powerful vampire noble. I was fortunate enough that Aravos wasn't sending me in blind. The next day he'd given me a floor plan of the building the opera and feed would take place in, and pictures of all the large rooms of the building. He'd also been generous enough to release me of my punishment early so that I could focus my energy on planning.

I finished my chores up early in the day, and then I would focus on the task at hand. From what I knew of Lord Kane by personal experience, he wasn't a kind vampire. He had killed Natalie with no hesitation, and had even mocked me about it. He wasn't above feeding and killing children, and he wasn't above ordering a child be punished.

From what Aravos explained, he was even worse. Lord Kane was over three hundred years old, but his bloodlust had stopped him from rising in the ranks of nobility. He was known for throwing public feed parties, and for killing his slaves off quickly. His maker had also been a particularly cruel vampire, and she was extremely powerful-Queen of the Eastern territory, Isolde. That complicated matters; Makers were protective of their progeny's. They'd given them new life as a vampire, raised them and taught them what it meant. Most often, Makers and progenies were family, lovers, or at least had a very special bond. Isolde and Kane were no different.

Once Isolde discovered the death of Kane, she would seek out who killed him, and there would be no mercy. Luckily, she wouldn't be at the party, which gave me a little more legroom to work with.

"Still working?" Aravos chimed in next to me. I was sitting in the library, as I usually did whenever I wasn't doing chores. It was nearing sunrise-I could see the darkness beginning to soften at the windows. I should've been asleep hours ago. Aravos must've arrived when I was distracted, because I hadn't even noticed his heavy and intimidating presence.

He seemed to be in a particularly good mood; He'd thrown his feet up on the coffee table a couple feet away from the couch we were seated on, and he was lounging back with his hands rested behind his head. He looked like a satisfied cat, bathing in the sunlight without a care in the world.

Annoying.

"There is much to be done in a short amount of time." I answered, side glancing at him. "Lord Kane doesn't concern me so much as Queen Isolde does. She has attended the Obsidian before, and I have spoken with her a few times. She is...concerning." I continued carefully. I didn't want to give Aravos the impression that I was frightened, but I couldn't hide the fact that I was nervous about her.

"She is terrifying," Aravos readily agreed. I looked away from my plans to stare at him; a vampire admitting someone besides themselves was scary? That was new. Most vampires would prefer to die a painful then readily admit such a thing. "She's known for buying pretty slave girls and playing with them until they are...disposed of." I winced; I know all about what he's saying. She tried to buy me once. Offered quite a bit of money too. Every time I'd met her at the Obsidian, she'd watched me with predatory eyes, something far more dangerous than hunger residing in them.

"You shouldn't worry though, I've already told you she won't be there." He said airily, as if he were brushing off my concerns like dust off his shirt.

I sighed, "Progeny and Maker bonds are powerful things, and I don't imagine she'll respond well when she gets the news of her progeny being murdered." I frowned, looking away and turning my attention back to my plans. "I have to be careful how I go about this, Master Aravos. Compton was a rare opportunity, but I don't think I'll get so lucky again."