Chapter 19

AN: Enjoy! And please lemme know what you think. :)

"Chancellor, Welcome. It is our pleasure to host you in our King's Estate." Tall, but thin. Pointed chin, murky purple eyes, thin lips.

"Where is the King?" High, shrill voice. Squeaky. Eyes swirling with disdain as he watched me.

I smiled politely, giving a small, apologetic bow of my head. "Please, forgive my master's absence, he has many duties to attend to and he was held up with paperwork." Actually, Aravos had called me into his office an hour ago to inform me the Chancellor was paying a visit to the Estate, and then informed me that since he hated the Chancellor, it was my job to greet him.

I hadn't had time to change. Not that there was anything wrong with today's outfit in particular. The Pink ensemble was another of Karissa's masterful creations made specifically for me. However, the skirt was rather short, and if I moved my arms up too high my midriff would become exposed. I didn't mind showing skin, but I was always wary of it around new guests. You never knew what kind of vampire was going to walk through the doors.

From the way the Chancellor's eyes had turned from disdain to hunger the second he traced my legs, he was certainly the type I tried to avoid showing too much skin around.

"Aravos always was a rude fellow," The Chancellor grunted unapologetically, and then turned to glance behind, barking out a rough order at the doors. In followed the Chancellor's progeny, a much more attractive male than his creator. Golden blond, white teeth, and playful grin. His eyes also wandered my form.

Joy.

Following behind him were the slaves; there were four of them, and they were nothing spectacular. Most high ranking vampires preferred their slaves to have decent clothing, to look cared for. It was a matter of pride and prestige. The Chancellor seemed to have no such inclination. His slaves were dirty and bruised, the hair atop their heads matted and their clothes covered in sweat stains and dirt.

There were two men and two women, and each of them was carrying a bag or suitcase. They looked exhausted, bags under their eyes.

"Syla?" A feminine voice whispered, so lowly I almost hadn't heard. I snapped my head in the direction of the voice, just in time to watch the Chancellor's progeny give an annoyed huff and slap the girl across the face.

"You were not told to speak unless spoken to," The Chancellor hissed, murky eyes narrowed in revulsion at the girl.

The girl that I vaguely recognized. Who had looked so different the last time I saw her. The girl whose life I hadn't even stopped to consider after I poisoned her master and left her and his other slaves to deal with the repercussions.

Maddie, I think her name was. The sweet slave of Palatine Compton, who had accompanied me to get drinks from the bar. The girl who was most likely blamed for Compton's death.

I fought to remain neutral. I flicked my eyes away from her form, turning my attention back to the Chancellor.

"My master has instructed me to show you to your rooms and give you a tour of the manor if you so choose. If you would like, I can have a maid sent to bring you blood," I offered. The Chancellor locked eyes with me, taking on a glare that was between hunger and disgust.

"Do not presume anything, you stupid bitch," He spat loudly. "Aravos is far too forgiving of his slaves, I'll be sure to tell him when he finally decides to show his face." I gave a small bow of my head, but kept eye contact.

"I apologize." I answered smoothly, politely, without a hint of malice in my voice.

I motioned them to follow me, and then began my trek to their rooms. I remained quiet after that, getting a good feel for who this man was. Cold, Unforgiving, bitter. He likes exerting his power over others, likes to pretend he's brave by insulting a man more powerful than him. His entire existence revolves around making others feel inferior and frightened. A weakling who hides behind a raised voice and scornful eyes.