Chapter 10

AN: Hey guys! So this isn't the full chapter and I apologize for that. I've struggled with this chapter just because it is such an important part of the story, so I decided to just divide it up so I could actually at least partially keep my promise of getting an update out this week, lol. It's still well over 3500 words so I do hope you enjoy! 

...

They couldn't have picked a better Opera to start the night off.

Alex and I walked into the large musical hall, hardly anyone seeming to notice us or who we were. It was quick and easy to reach the balcony reserved for us. I was surprised by the amount of slaves here; I always thought vampires would've preferred to keep their humans at home.

"Slaves have become a status symbol," Alexandre explained. "The more you have, the more prestigious you are viewed. Many vampires have a favorite of their slaves, who they dress up in luxuries and take with them places to prove to other vampires of just how wealthy they are. It's why no one seemed particularly concerned you were here."

Hmm, interesting.

The musical hall the opera was taking place in was large and opulent; The seats in the hall were a deep purple. The majority of the hall seemed to be made for the rich and powerful, because there no rows of seats; only balconies and small groups of seats on the floor level made for larger parties of vampires. The walls and ceiling were marble, intricately carved to create decadent pictures of battles, angels and demons, and famous monuments. The carvings went all the way up to the ceiling, where it changed and a gorgeous mural covered the ceiling, a depiction of the milky way, and it looked so real you could almost believe you were really staring up at the night sky. A huge crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling, but it seemed mostly to be for artistic display, rather than use; most of the lighting came from the wall lamps all around the theatre.

The stage was immaculate; finely crafted of a medium-dark wood, and the marble carvings ran even behind the stage, from what I was able to catch. Alex and I had arrived a bit early, and just as I was beginning to observe the stage, the black curtains were lowered.

Little by little, the seats in the hall filled up, until there wasn't one seat open. People chatted and mingled, and servers brought around wine glasses of blood, but most declined; they were saving their appetites for later.

"Do you know the opera they're performing?" Alex asked, leaning over to whisper in my ear. I glanced over at him, and shook my head.

"I've never been to the Opera," I informed him simply. He frowned, and then handed me the small book he'd been given.

"This show is called 'Carmen.' I've seen it once before. Rather fitting for the situation, actually." Alex laughed nervously, scratching the back of his head.

Fitting indeed. It wasn't long before the lights in the Hall were dimmed, and the curtains rose. We started the opera out on the battlefield, with a man named Don Jose, but it became clear early on that the show wasn't really about him; it was about a gypsy named Carmen, who seduced him and brought him under her spell. It wasn't until the end of the opera that it didn't seem to fit so well. Carmen dies, killed by Don jose in a fit of jealous rage. It didn't really fit what would happen tonight; or at least, I hoped it didn't.

I would rather not be killed by Lord Kane, nor garner his love. His lust, maybe, but not his love. I would be utterly repulsed to be loved by such a malevolent creature.

At the end of the opera, no one clapped. Rather, the theatre went dark for a few seconds, and when the lights came back on the cast returned onstage, giving their final bows. Still, no one clapped, or showed any sign of appreciation or joy. I looked to Alexandre, and he shrugged.