Sherlock Meets Jade

Jade walked up into the line of the cafe to order another coffee for herself. She was minding her own business, checking her phone every now and then to see if she got an email. She didn't notice the tall man in a dark jacket next to her. He was trying to get his way in front of her as the line moved up. She tilted her head as she watched him. He thought he could be sneaky but it was obvious what he was doing. She rolled her eyes and nudged him gently, waiting for him to turn around. She was met with a gleaming smirk that screamed CONFIDENT. She could immediately see that he thought highly of himself. He probably got his way a lot of the time, as well. He was just asking for a punch in the face.

"Hi, yes, I think I was in front of you." Jade said simply, giving him a flat look that said "I'm not moving until you do."

Jade noticed that he was trying to examine her, looking her up and down. She was probably just as easy to read as he was, though. She folded her arms over her chest, drumming her small fingers on her opposite arm.

"I don't think you were. I was here." The man said in a simple tone. He's trying to get away with it. Jade took a deep breathe.

"It was obvious I was in front of you. Now excuse me," Jade pushed her way in front of him, blowing a piece of her dirty blond hair out of the way.

---

Sherlock was left dumbfounded, staring at the back of the girl's head. No one had the nerve to talk to him like that. Ever. He decided to try again and get his spot back. He tried the same thing he did before but the girl just moved in front of him. She turned around to face him, her brown, almost black eyes were gleaming. Sherlock felt his pulse start to get quicker just with her stare. What was happening to him?

"Listen, you can try to get in front of me as many time as you want but I know my place. I'm not moving for some trenchcoat-wearing guy. Now you can either stop or have that smirk ripped from your face. Your choice."

Yet again, Sherlock was left speechless. He didn't know what to say. He usually got people to do what he wanted. It wasn't hard. What had happened this time? When the girl turned her back to him, Sherlock made his way back to John who was sitting at a table. He took a seat and put his hands together as if in prayer, looking down at the table and thinking.

John spoke, looking up from his papers. "What happened back there?"

"The girl," was all he said, still thinking. "She didn't let me have my spot in line. She told me off, and quite rudely, I may add."

John let out a quiet chuckle, shaking his head. "Are you sure you weren't the one being mean?"

Sherlock kept glancing at the girl, she was currently ordering now. It peeved him to know that he could've been there ordering himself a nice tea. He didn't stop taking her in. He couldn't tell much about her, which was another thing that peeved him. He couldn't deduce her as easily as most. From just talking with her he could tell that 1) she has bad habits. He saw a little peek of a nicotine patch on her left arm and her fingernails were bitten down quite a bit. That suggests that she is prone to being nervous or she thinks too much. Most likely the second option, she most definitely didn't look nervous talking to him. 2) she isn't from the UK. United States, probably east coast. Boston, she has an accent. She's probably just visiting but she could also be here for a job. He wasn't sure what kind of job, though. Her clothes don't say anything about an office job or outside job. 3) She knows how to take care of herself. Her clothes are as clean as could be, no animal fur. She probably lives alone and has been for a while. She stands as if she could be ready for anything, like someone could attack her from any angle and she would still take them down.

It seemed like Sherlock was in a spaced out state because John was trying to get his attention.

"Sherlock?" He rose his brows at him from across the table and Sherlock composed himself.

"Don't let her fool you. Behind those eyes is something waiting to rip you apart. She could build you up and take you down just as fast if she wanted to, I know it." Sherlock said this as his eyes lingered on her, turning away just as she caught his glance.

John was shocked to hear the words coming from Sherlock's mouth. He had never heard him talk like that. He assumed that he was saying it as a compliment.

"It seems to me like Sherlock has a liking for her." John said, smirking when he saw Sherlock's reaction.

"Me? Of course not. That would mean showing feelings and you know I don't do that."

Sherlock kept his eyes glued on her. He seemed to be fidgeting a little and John noticed.

"Are you nervous?" John asked, glancing over his shoulder to see the girl who Sherlock was staring down.

"No! Nobody makes Sherlock Holmes nervous." He was quick to respond.

"Besides that girl." John simply said, going back to the papers that he was working on.
Sherlock narrowed his eyes at him but got distracted by someone walking over to the table. He sat up straighter in his chair once he saw it was the girl. The girl who made him feel helpless. The girl who tore him apart with her curious eyes. He didn't have enough time to compose himself before she was at their table.

"The nice lady at the counter told me that I was in line before you." Was all she said, pushing back her long hair. "And don't worry about the bill, I covered everything you guys order." When Sherlock didn't say anything, a very small smile came onto her lips. "This is usually when people say thank you, but I'll take the silence." And like that, she walked away, a to-go cup in her left hand. Something else he could tell about her, she was left handed.

John looked at Sherlock with a teasing expression. He just shook his head and went back to that prayer hand position. He had to learn more about her. He just had to. He was captivated by her and everything that had to do with her. Her gaze, the way she looked at everything in the room as if she's looking for something. The way she held herself, head held high and feet grounded.

She seemed so ordinary but she was far from that. Sherlock knew, but he didn't think others did. Maybe that's why he liked her. No, he didn't like her. He didn't like anyone like that. All he knew was that she would be in his mind for quite some time. And he was alright with that.

A/N
i will be using the character jade for a lot of these story things, just fyi. i also didn't proof read this so i'm sorry for any grammar mistakes.

best wishes
-lovelyyy64