Chapter 3

Chapter 3

It took her a little while, but Lyv was finally able to put a glamour over herself. She now looked like a young man who was traveling through the city with the two guardsmen Vandor and Merek.

She had to admit it was entertaining to have Merek watching her as she shifted her features from female to male. His eyes widened with every change as Gideon rummaged through her wardrobe, trying to find her riding clothes she'd buried deep in the back so her mother couldn't find them. She made sure to only downplay her feminine curves and not change her overall size so she could still wear them as a male and not look out of place.

"This is so strange," Merek told her, walking around her new male form to take in every inch. "I've seen Gideon do it plenty of time, but you..."

"I could probably do more, but my magic..." She lifted her arms, which she was only able to shift slightly. She'd already changed out of her dress and into her riding clothes and was sheathing her knife at her waist. "Gideon's right. I have to build it up again. I'll only be able to keep this glamour up for a little while. It's already starting drain me."

"Then let's get going," Gideon answered. "You can shift back once we're to the eastern gates. They know us there."

Once they were out of the palace and got their horses from the stables, the three of them started through the streets of the city. Since the market day was leading into the evening, the smaller streets were near empty. It didn't take them long to reach the eastern gates. Lyv had to drop the glamour by then, having exhausted her magic already. She waited until they were just about to turn around the last street corner. The guardsmen bowed their heads to the captain and second, and then bowed once more at the sight of their princess coming up behind them. They'd been so used to Vandor leaving the city with Lyv at that point that they knew to keep their mouths shut whenever they left.

"You two do realize the guardsmen at the gate like to tell everyone else how often you two go out for a romp in a hidden cottage in the forest that only you know about, right?" Merek asked as he looked between the two of them.

"Then let's not tell them they're partially right about the hidden cottage in the forest," Gideon smirked.

Lyv knew the way to the cottage like the back of her hand. They came at least twice a week to see her father, who had taken to living a life in somewhat seclusion well. A king fallen from grace, he kept himself busy. He'd was self-taught with woodworking, with the metalwork of the forge he and Gideon built behind the cottage, and with raising the few animals he had in the small stable they'd put up to keep them in.

Of course, Bence had their visits to look forward to as a break from seclusion, along with the pixie Jett to keep him company. He also kept in contact with her sisters, Ada, Sora, and Rhea through letters every few weeks. Though they said he was more than welcome to take refuge in one of the strongholds, the journey there would more than likely get him killed with the patrols that kept an eye out.

When Lyv, Gideon, and Merek passed through the area where Gideon lifted the ward, the familiar cottage came into view. The lights were on inside, smoke steadily coming out of the chimney. Once they'd led their horses to the stable, they headed for the door.

Her father opened it before they were even a dozen feet away. He was in his usual attire, dark pants, boots, and a plain tunic, but still held the wisdom and powerful demeanor of a king. And to them all, even throughout the lands of Escarral, he was still their true king.

"Well, you've come just in time. I just finished up with dinner," Bence smiled as Lyv bounded toward him to wrap him in a hug he returned wholeheartedly. "Who's hungry?"