Chapter 50

***So since I didn't make a cast list for this series, I've created a collage of how I imagine the characters to look.  I might have made a Pinterest board (which is where I found all the pictures)...and I love every single one of them!  I've been having way too much fun looking at fantasy art.  *grins*  You're welcome!***

Chapter 50

Lyv and Jai never got the chance to talk on the ship.

Though she wanted nothing more, they barely spent any time alone other than early in the morning when they both woke up from nightmares and went to get breakfast in the galley. This was usually before anyone else was up other than the few Asturian guardsmen who were manning the ship.

"I can help you get some more rest, Jai," Lyv offered, seeing the dark circles under his red eyes. "I did it for Laurel and I know you need it, too."

"I'm fine," he told her, reaching up to tuck her hair behind her ear before kissing her forehead.

She wasn't going to argue, even though she wanted to.

After, they hardly spoke a word to each other, but fell into a comfortable silence. Words weren't what they were needing those two mornings they spent together, rather the need to be near one another. Especially when they arrived to the entrance of the harbor of Ayveri.

Thousands of people lined the shore to watch the ships come in. Three people in particular caught Lyv's eye, along with the tiny pixie who sat on the shoulder of the smallest of them. There was no laughter, no smiles or greetings, just a city in mourning. There were other ships in the harbor who had paused in respect as well...and Lyv even saw three others just outside Ayverian territory, the Blackloch flag at half-mast and a certain pirate queen standing on deck to pay her own respects.

As soon as Jai and Laurel stepped off the ship, their brother's body carried behind them, someone in the distance started singing a solemn song that had others quickly joining in. It immediately sent a chill through Lyv, who looked over at Gideon's stoic face beside her.

"It's called the Lament. A song of mourning," he told her. "Centuries old, sung for the fallen out of love and respect."

Her parents followed off the ship then, trailed by Lyv, Gideon, Thia, Camilla, and Soren.

Lyv could feel every emotion rushing through Jai as he headed for his parents and baby brother at the end of the dock. She tried soothing her magic over him to calm him and he thanked her with one look back.

I will always be here for you, she said in her mind...though she didn't expect an answer back.

And I will always be here for you. Forever. I promise.

Posy, who had been perched on Eamon's shoulder, slowly stood, kissed the little prince's cheek, and flew into the air straight at Lyv. If she hadn't turned at just the last moment, she would have collided straight into her face.

"Hello, Posy," Lyv smiled slightly. She ended up on her shoulder, hugging her cheek, and Lyv could feel her tears on her skin. "I know. I've missed you, too."

Posy flew in front of her face as she walked then, finally noticing the changes in her favorite person. She landed herself back on Lyv's shoulder, marveling at the change in color of her hair and her now pointed ears.

But even the happy pixie couldn't lessen the somber mood, especially not when Jai and Laurel finally reached their parents.

Alexea burst into tears when she looked at them, rushing forward to hug them both. Emmeric leaned down to pick up Eamon, stepping into the hug with them, holding Jai tightly as he said something to him. Jai nodded and only held on tighter. Lyv could have heard if she wanted, but wanted to respect their privacy.