Chapter 29

Chapter 29

"Thia," Lyv started, stepping toward her.

"Don't," her friend told her, holding out her hand. Thia rarely used her magic, but she was using it to protect herself then. The half-sorceress put a ward up between them and Lyv's heart jumped in her throat at the hurt and betrayal in her eyes. "What the hell is going on, Audry?"

"I can explain."

Thia was looking at her closely, finally seeing Lyv in her true form, the dark hair and emerald eyes, the human girl standing there in front of her instead of the Fae female she'd gotten used to being around. "Who are you? Who are you really? Gods above, you've been lying the whole time? I knew you were keeping secrets, but this..."

Lyv took a step closer. "Thia..."

"Don't!" Thia yelled, her voice cracking. "Tell me what the hell is going on."

Posy woke from her nap in her room, seeing the two females standing in the sitting room. When the pixie noticed Lyv was in her true form, her eyes widened before she flew over to land on her shoulder, protectively holding onto her ear as she stared at Thia.

Lyv swallowed hard, trying to keep her tears from forming, but her eyes stung. "My name is Lyv. That's what my family and close friends call me."

"Lyv," Thia tested. "You're...human?"

"Yes. Well, there is a question of my paternity, but that is a different story."

"You're not from Waiter."

"No."

"But you still have magic. Powerful magic."

"Ever since I was a child."

"Then where are you from?"

Lyv's heart raced in her chest...and Thia started lowering her ward between them. "My name is Alyvia and I am from Escarral."

It took no time at all for Thia to recognize the name. She had talked about the Escarrali princess on more than one occasion and how much she admired her for going against Queen Guinevere.

"As in Princess Alyvia of Escarral?"

Though her lips were quivering, Lyv gave her a slight smile. "The one and only."

Thia seemed to deflate, her legs taking her to the sofa just before they gave out under her. She held her head in her hands, not even looking at Lyv. But Lyv wasn't going to let her friend just sit there in silence. She needed to tell her everything. And she meant everything. So, she sat down beside her and started to talk.

"You have no idea how much I wanted to tell you the truth, Thia, but I couldn't. I am now, though, and I hope you will forgive me for lying to you all this time.

"My name is Princess Alyvia of Escarral. I am the daughter of Queen Guinevere and King Bence, though my father is my father in every way except that he did not make me. I am trying to figure out who my real father is, but Bence will always be, even if I find my true one. I have three sisters, Ada, Sora, and Rhea, and a bunch of nieces and nephews."

"And Vandor?" Thia asked without looking up. Her voice caught in her throat.

"He's going to probably kill me for this, but Vandor is not my brother and that is not even his name. He is Gideon Kersey, former guardsman to Prince Jai and now mine since he took the oath of fidelity to me last year. He's been with me for almost two years now and is the captain of the palace guard in Escarral."