Chapter 35

Chapter 35

The message came at breakfast from one of the sentries they'd posted around the perimeter of the camp. Being the leader of their traveling party, it was addressed to Jai. Once he had it in his hands, though, everyone gathered around to read over his shoulders. At least it wasn't anything that was life or death. Just an invitation to join up with a small Asturian army in a nearby town.

"Who is Drue?" Lyv asked from his right, seeing the signature at the bottom. She'd been sitting next to him and had been the first to lean over to read.

"Alberich's younger brother," he answered.

"So, they had him and his band of mercenaries out as well, huh?" Camilla snorted, walking back to grab her tea. "They're really stretched thin, aren't they?'

"Which is why we're going to help," Jai answered. "And Drue and his men aren't that bad."

"They have no organization. Hell, they're pretty much Dalcaine's version of Blackloch pirates."

"At least they're helping the people instead of killing them. And it's not even like they would do that. Sure, they cause quite a stir whenever they pass through a village, but at least they pay for any damages."

"There's that."

Lyv took the small piece of parchment from his hand, their fingers brushing when she did. She didn't take notice of it, but almost everyone else did.

It wasn't the first time they all took note that Lyv and Jai were actually civil toward each other. Friendly, even. When they walked out of their tents just an hour earlier and saw them working to get breakfast ready, Jai didn't understand the pauses and looks of suspicion. He and Lyv were working together as if they had all along.

And they talking.

Like normal.

Thia had been the first to come out of the tent, wanting to go check up on the dragons. When Lyv and Jai had just an hour before, Roshan had fallen back asleep, curled up beside Erly. Obviously, Lyv had told the half-sorceress their history back in Escarral by the look of suspicion she gave him when she appeared.

Gideon had pulled her off to the side to speak with her quietly after he came out, too, pulling a tunic on over his leather riding pants. Of course, he saw them, knew exactly what was going on.

Even Destan asked Jai what had happened, especially since Jai and Lyv hadn't spoken since their first day of the journey.

"A compromise. We both agreed that alliance between those who represent Dalcaine and Escarral is more important than the past, so working together it is," Jai answered.

But still, after sleeping and waking up under the stars to agreeing that they needed to work together, Jai felt that tug toward her no matter how close or far away she was. He wasn't going to make it obvious, but it was hard when her lavender and sage scent started intertwining with his.

Now, everyone was watching them and how close they were.

"So, he wants us to meet him at some tavern for the night?" Lyv asked, looking over at him. "Why, exactly, especially when we are heading in the same direction?"

"It's not like the truth about who you are is only staying in Ayveri. It has spread throughout the land," Destan answered for him. "Maybe he wants to meet the human princess who has taken Dalcaine by storm."

"So...are we going?" she asked, still looking at Jai.

"I don't see why it would hurt. We do need to be careful with him, though."