Chapter 28

Chapter 28

On the morning of her birthday, Lyv had gotten up super early and headed out to the Branvon estate even before Gideon and Posy up. The streets were silent as she walked through Ayveri and all of the autumn equinox decorations were starting to be taken down the day before. The week-long festivities had been something she would always remember, a fantastic celebration leading up to her birthday.

But she wasn't wanting to sleep in as the queen told her to do the day before when she let her know she was giving her the day off.

"It is your birthday. Sleep in and do nothing...that is, until Laurel comes to get you later in the afternoon. We're dressing up for your birthday dinner and so are you."

Lyv tried to hold in her groan but couldn't. "We don't have to dress up."

Queen Alexea waved her hand dismissively with a smile. "Nonsense. The day is yours, though we are all going to have a say in it a little bit."

She hadn't meant to go against her orders of sleeping in. She just wanted to see Roshan and continue what they had been practicing the whole week.

Flying had come easily to him before but flying with Lyv had frustrated him because he just couldn't get the hang of it. He was trying non-stop, though, something she was very proud of. His persistence was paying off, too. Though they never managed to get more than ten or fifteen feet off the ground, he was slowly building up his ability to fly with a rider on his back. Destan had come to watch his progress with Gideon and Eamon, grinning at the two of them and laughing when Roshan would crash-land after he made sure they were both all right.

Destan. Lyv didn't know how to describe their budding relationship. Everyone knew it had progressed from friendship to more than that, especially since he kissed her lips instead of her cheek or forehead now. And she did enjoy kissing him and holding his hand and having him hold her against him. She felt...comfortable with him. A slow kindling she hoped would ignite.

Gideon couldn't stop grinning when Destan had dropped her off at their rooms after their date and he caught them kiss at the door. Posy had been sitting with him on the sofa and covered her mouth as if to stop a squeal from coming out.

"Well," Gideon laughed after she shut the door and saw him sitting there. Instantly, her cheeks flamed. "This is a new development."

"It is."

"And do you like it?"

"I'm...I'm starting to. I really am."

And she was. Being with Destan as more than a friend was something she was getting used to still, even after a few days of being together. And he seemed to really enjoy kissing her. She did, too, especially since it could take more than a few things off her mind. It never went past kissing, though, which she was thankful for. A physical relationship with him was something she was not ready for just yet.

Now, on the morning of her birthday, she was thankful for the silence of Ayveri, especially when she knew she would have to send word to her mother. It had been far too long since she gave an update and she was expecting a scathing message from her any day now for not doing so. Lyv had to be especially careful in where she kept her messages from her mother, especially since Destan was closer now. She couldn't have him overseeing one.

Especially not when she was lying about getting on Jai's good graces. She knew she would get caught in her lies in no time, especially when she knew her mother had her own spies in Dalcaine. She'd been glad for the week he was away, even though that panic never subsided, even after a week. He was due home any time now...and Lyv couldn't help but wonder how he was going to react to seeing her with Destan.