Chapter 4

Katelyn's pov

We were back at the loft and Clary was freaking out to our mother and I just sat there as Clary explained what happened and our mom tried to ask questions.

"Clary! Did they look like this?" Mom interrupted Clary's rambling, running her stele across her arm and revealing a rune.

"Mom what the-"

"Everything you saw tonight has a meaning and an explanation, and I've dreaded having this conversation with you since the day you were born."

"What is going on? A-am I going insane? Kate you see this too right?"

"Yes Clary I do, and no you're not going insane. But your protections are wearing off."

"W-what the hell are you guys talking about? Mom, Kate, you guys are scaring me."

"I know that's why i've been putting it off until the last possible minute." Mom glanced at me and nodded. I opened my mouth but just then, Dot came in the room.

"Jocelyn, look out the window. Magnus called to warn us. They found you." Me and mom both went wide eyed.

"Dot it's time. Okay listen to me, neither of you can be near me."

When she said that, I found myself becoming confused as well. "Wait mom, what are you talking about?"

"I hid something from someone very powerful and his followers." I knew she was talking about Valentine and the Circle. Though I was still confused on what she was doing. What did she hide and what the hell is going on right now?

"W-what do you mean? Why can't you just call the police?!" Clary questioned yelling.

"Clary the only police officer we can trust is Luke."

"Your sister is right, you need to call Luke." Mom came over to the both of us and put this purple necklace on Clary.

"Keep this with you and think of me when you wear it." My heart rate began speeding up the more our mom spoke.

"Mom this is not the time for more birthday presents." Clary started to shout with tears in her eyes.

"Yeah mom, what the hell is happening?" I asked, becoming more scared and worried as well.

Then Dot came rushing back into the room, handing mom a potion. "Only if you need it." She stated seriously.

My mother nodded, "Trust your instincts girls. You're more powerful than you know." Then she yelled, "Dot open it!"

Dot's hand started glowing blue from the use of her powers, a purple portal being created.

"Everything i've done, every mistake i've made, was because I love you guys both more than words."

"What are you doing?" Me and Clary worriedly questioned in sync.

"Luke will explain everything, he'll hide you. He's the only one you can trust. Trust no one else." She looked at Clary when she said this, she already knows how I am... "Where's Luke now?"

"At the police station!" Clary yelled. I stayed silent. I already knew what was happening.

"Remember, I love you both! Katelyn, protect Clary!" Our mom shouted then pushed us both into the portal.

We landed in the police station and made a small lie to Captain Vargas so we could go find Luke.

We found Luke and he seemed to be sitting with two other people. A man and a woman, circle members it looked like. I could see the red rune from here.

"The minute we found out Jocelyn Fairchild was alive, you were easy to track," A white man wearing a suit told our father figure.

"Fairchild?" Clary mumbles, giving me a look. I shrugged my shoulders even though I knew it was our real last name. I would tell her later.

"Turns out you and Jocelyn were never that far apart. The Circle has her now. It's just a matter of time before we catch the daughters."

"You can have them both if you give up the Mortal Cup." The woman speaks up. She had dark skin, and was wearing an orange dress. So that's what they're after, the Mortal Cup. Is that what our mother stole? She told me what it was and what it did, but never told me that she had it.

"I don't care about any of them. They mean nothing to me. Kill all 3 if you like. My people want the Cup. Why do you think I've been hanging around here all these years?"

I froze, drowning out the rest of what Luke said. I was shocked and hurt, feeling a pang in my chest. Why would he say that stuff? He was the only father figure we'd ever known, we let him into our lives. I trusted him! I know I probably should have been used to this, but it still hurt so much. It's happened before, people entering my life, me loving them, trusting them, only for them to end up leaving like nothing ever happened.

Clary looked at me, the same hurt in her eyes as a tear ran down her face. "C'mon Kate, lets go." She whispered and I nodded.

~Edited~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Thank you for anyone who has read or voted on my story so far, means a lot❤️ If you are enjoying, please interact!