Chapter 24: Pit Stop

"Adventure is worthwhile." - Aesop

•••

Our first couple of breaks were the typical Della-stops. Gas stations, more than enough bathroom breaks, snacks, coffee, and a random chat with a stranger or two... But it was on the third or fourth of these general stops, as we were walking down the candy-aisle, that Della gave me that mysterious Della grin.

Oh, gosh, that grin...

"Our next stop is going to be the best one yet, Lovett."

I had no guesses anymore. "Should I even bother to ask?"

"I mean, you can..." she giggled. "But I won't promise to tell you anything."

"What if I say please?" I rolled my eyes sarcastically, but bit back the smile that seemed to naturally rise to my lips.

Della paused, balancing an extra-large package of Skittles in one hand, while toting a little plastic basket full of snacks in the other. Her eyes twinkled impishly.

"It's still a 'no' from me."

I nodded tolerantly and reached around her to grab for a bar of dark chocolate that was nestled between the caramel and the peanut-crunch bars. "Whatever. Can't say I'm surprised."

"What's that supposed to mean?" she scoffed, tossing the Skittles into the basket. "Are you trying to roast me or something? Cuz if so, you're failing."

"Oh, don't worry. It's nothing," I muttered, nonchalantly dunking the chocolate into her basket. "Ya know, I'm just pointing out the obvious."

"As you do..." she chuckled. Before she had finished speaking, her gaze was drawn towards the postcard stand, where she frisked over without hesitation.

I tried to act casual as I watched her move away, but it was hard because I found myself over-analyzing every little thing.

Were her legs steady now? How was her breathing? Were her cheeks flushed or was it just the lighting? Did she actually feel better, or was she just faking it for my sake?

Della spun the little postcard-stand around, checking to see if the colorful cards on the other side were as pretty as the ones in the front. She began to tenderly smile to herself, shuffling through the different cards on the display.

So seemingly happy and carefree...

She was a class-A actress, that much was certain. I knew that. How else would she be able to fool the whole world with her sunny smile and bubbling laughter and generous philosophies? But beneath all of that was a broken girl with secrets. Painful secrets. And there was no way on earth that she didn't know I knew it.

So why the continued façade?

My feet followed after her without my consent, and my hands automatically reached for my pockets. After all, what else could I do to maintain some slight amount of control over myself?

I felt so stupid, chasing after her like this. Not just in the physical sense, here at the store... I mean, I felt like an idiot for caring this much about anyone. But specifically for her. Caring was an inconvenience that I genuinely didn't want to bother with. That is, I didn't want to bother with it until she came along. However, it particularly frustrated me that my heart didn't seem to give me much of a choice in the matter. It just seemed to decide this for me, before I could even say no.

Della finally selected a few postcards, grinning with satisfaction at them as I approached her.

"Look at these, Lovett! These are perfect!" she beamed and dropped them in the basket on her arm.

"Why do you buy them at nearly every stop?" I ventured to ask, feeling that it was a fairly safe question.

"What? The postcards?" She seemed surprised. "I thought I told you about that already... Remember? I put them in my scrapbook. And I also send some home too."

"Oh, the scrapbook!" I nodded, walking towards the front counter. "I remember you making a mess with it at that first motel before you fell asleep. But you never told me that you send the cards home."

"Didn't I?" she frowned a little, but quickly shrugged it off. "Well, I'm not the best at explaining myself all the time, Lovett. You know that."

Yeah. Don't I know it...

"So who do you send them to?" I changed the subject a bit.

She didn't look at me as she nudged past, heading towards the coolers. "My mom."

My ears perked up at this new information. Della hadn't spoken about her family much at all during our time together. She had only brought up her mom once, back when we stopped at Daisy's and she first told me about her blog...

"That's nice," I stated, unsure of what else to say.

I felt a little guilty for not doing crap like that for mom. She'd probably get a kick out of it. But then again, my relationship with my mom was very unique. And Della's relationship with her mom was probably different too. I mean, judging from her odd relationships with everyone else she came into contact with, that fact was almost certain.

"So... are you excited for our surprise-stop?" she suddenly changed the subject.

I distractedly grabbed a pair of sunshades from a nearby stand and tried them on. "How can I be when you won't even tell me any of the details?"

"The element of surprise is important, Jason," she rolled her eyes as she dumped the basket full of goodies on the counter. "We all could use a little surprise now and then."

"I hate surprises," I replied.

••••••••••••

Hey, guys! Yes, I am back from the silence. I apologize for not being super active on here recently. TBH, life kind got me down for a little while & I just felt like I needed some time away. However, I am hoping that things will get a bit better now & that I can finish this story for you soon. I know this chapter is short, but I hope you enjoy getting to hear from Jason & Della anyway.

~ What do you thing Della's big surprise is?

~ Are you suspicious like Jason is, or do you think he's just overreacting?

~ Who missed this two peeps?? I know I did.

{Be sure to favorite, comment, vote, and share! Thank you to everyone who does this on a regular basis & supports me. It means a lot.}