Chapter 37: Cracked Confessions

"Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends... The mind can never break off from the journey." – Pat Conroy

•••

For whatever reason, Della insisted on driving again once we reached the California state line. She said something about 'connecting' to her 'roots,' whatever that was supposed to mean... When I finally relinquished the steering wheel again, it suddenly hit me—we were nearly there. We were finally crossing into California.

The closer we got to LA, the more I nearly peed my pants from coinciding excitement and terror.

And Grant didn't help matters. He was grade-A pissed at me for not answering any of his recent phone calls or texts. Frankly, he was kind of being a drama queen about it, and I told him so.

"Oh, I'm the drama queen?" he scoffed over the phone. "It's not like I was the one who completely disappeared for over a week with little to no contact to my loving family!"

"I told you, I forgot my phone was in the bag," I groaned. "How many 'sorrys' do I have to say?"

"I haven't decided yet."

"You're acting like I didn't contact you at all," I argued, "I texted in Texas!"

"Yeah, one measly text to tell me you have a fricking girlfriend!!" Grant exploded.

"Shut up!" I choked, hurriedly glancing over at Della, praying that she didn't hear my brother rambling like an idiot.

"What? It's not like I'm mad about that part or anything. I'm happy for you actually. Didn't think you'd ever find someone... You're too intense and it scares girls away."

"Fake news," I coughed.

"Whatever. It's just your timing that ticks me off, man! And your communication skills. You can't just go off the grid when you're traveling like that!"

"Are you done with the lecture, Lovett?" I quipped, shooting a sly look at Della.

She proudly grinned at my usage of her pet name for me.

Grant heaved a heavy sigh. "When will you be here?"

"We're like three hours away right now," I stated, "Call you again when we're close to your apartment?"

"Yeah, I guess..." Grant sounded exhausted, and I suddenly felt a twinge of sympathy for my older brother. He was going through enough stress already—with almost being a dad and all—without me adding to the trash heap.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled.

There a pause on the other line.

"I'm just glad you're okay," Grant responded. "Make it here safe, okay?"

"Okay," I replied soberly.

"Drive safe, Jason!" Gracie called over Grant.

I smiled at Gracie's sweet voice. I was glad she at least wasn't mad at me. "Thanks, Gracie! By the way, how are you hanging in there?"

"You'll be an uncle any day now," she reminded, her tone one of warmth and joy. "Who knows, maybe you'll get to meet the baby while you're here with us."

"Remind me again why you decided to not find out the sex?" I pressed, "It seems like a waste of time to not find out."

"Maybe they wanted it to be a surprise, Lovett!" Della interjected.

I heard a gasp over the phone. "Was that the girl? Is that her?" Gracie was squealing to Grant. "She sounds so cute!"

I shot Della a dirty look.