Chapter 30: Caring Thoughts in Kansas

"The life you have led doesn't need to be the only life you have." - Anna Quindlen

•••

I'd heard people joke about how Kansas was nothing but fields and farmlands as far as the eye could see... but it turns out they weren't that far from the truth.

At least, all that I remember from passing through Kansas was the earthy tones of green and brown, winding roads, and the sounds of the loud K-pop music Della insisted on blaring from the radio as she snapped photos left and right.

It was a blur of everything and nothing at all.

The only thing that truly stood out to me was that Della insisted much less on taking her turn driving the Beetle after we crossed over into this nearly-nowhere-land. She was much more subdued and sleepy since our talk in Oklahoma, which would've concerned me. But when I thought over how much she'd been through since the start of our trip, it seemed less worrisome. Not even Della Rae could keep up the outrageous energy forever.

I stopped questioning Della's crazy directions, mostly because I knew there was no point. She would win. Every time. But I also stopped trying because I was realizing that every time something came up unexpectedly, Della made it interesting, memorable, and dare I say even fun?

Now that she knew practically everything there was to know about me and my depressing life, there wasn't much of a reason for me to try to hide as much anymore.

Mostly...

As I peeked over at Della, napping in the passenger seat with her flower crown resting slightly crooked on the top of her head, that odd sense of both warmth and confusion kicked in. I turned back to face the road and heaved a sigh.

That crazy, beautiful girl was unraveling me, bit by bit.

My first instinct was to be embarrassed and to try to act like I didn't care. I didn't really care anyway... right? But no, I did. I definitely cared. I'd known that deep down ever since that night at the gas station when that guy Pete had told me so. Once again, his words of wisdom rang in my ears.

"Stay friends, stay close... Be there for her when no one else is. You'll get your chance."

A swift tremor rose up from my chest, into my head, warming me all over. I glanced over at the napping Della once more, the feeling intensifying.

The realization that opening up about my past in Oklahoma had been another step towards being close to her hit me full-force. I thought over so many of the other stories we had shared together-the story of my first performance, how Grant and Gracie met, Della's story about college... We had been growing closer and closer without me even realizing it. Without me intending to.

For whatever reason, I began to grin like an idiot and my head thudded back on the headrest.

Pete was right... I was in way over my head. I was coming undone. And it was all because of Della Rae.

•••

Eventually, the landscape changed from flat cornfields into hills and in the distance, the hills became mountains. The air began to change, filling my lungs with a chill and a sense of wonder. It was as if the earth itself was stretching and growing larger than ever before, like the crazy emotions inside of me.

We were crossing into Colorado.

After Della had woken up from one of her many cat naps, she gave me a set of very specific directions, which ended up guiding us far away from any major cities or ski resorts, up into the mountains. I wanted to ask why... Why were we going off the main roads and away from our goal? Why were we going this direction?

 Why were we going off the main roads and away from our goal? Why were we going this direction?

But I knew not to ask. Della always had a plan.

"Just around this next corner, Lovett," she hummed, doodling in her scrapbook.

"Okay," I replied, smiling to myself.

Della cocked her head and tossed me an amused expression. "Is that a smile I see?"

I rolled my eyes, smiling even more. "Whatever."

"What put you in such a good mood, Lovett? Are you actually having... fun?"

"It was definitely the silence while you were sleeping," I retorted. "Gave me a much-needed break."

Della playfully pouted her lips at me, as if she was disappointed by my response. "Rude."

I shrugged. "You invited me."

"You accepted my invitation."

"...I'm having fun."

"I know."

As we rounded the corner, a gasp of pure amazement and awe escaped my lips before I even fully understood what I was seeing.

"Welcome to my home away from home, Jason," Della sighed contentedly.

Before us was quite possibly the most beautiful, rustic building I had ever seen in my life. It was a huge cabin, overlaid on the outside with both stone and wood. The massive porch wrapped around, hemming the house on all sides. One side of the house overlooked a peak, hovering near the edge as if it was playing an insane game of chicken. Colorful leaves were strewn all along the now-dirt path that led up to the cabin, occasionally moving in the soft, chilly breeze that seemed to swoop down from the pale mountain tops in the distance.

"You okay there, Lovett?" Della smiled, her soft tone warming me to the core.

"T-this is amazing," I stuttered. "I've never been anywhere like this before."

"It is pretty breathtaking, isn't it?" she grinned as she tugged a hoodie over her head.

My hoodie...

For a moment I forgot about the cabin and the scenery and noticed only Della, sitting there in the passenger seat with her hair all messy, snuggled warmly in my hoodie. Something about that mental picture made my heart miss a beat.

Della caught me staring at her and, at first, she returned the tender look without reluctance. But after a moment, she broke the gaze and said, "Do you wanna see what the inside looks like? It'll be warmer inside."

I remember that I caught myself thinking about how I didn't feel very cold at all, but I went ahead and replied with a simple, "Okay."

••••••••••••

Hope you enjoyed this new chapter! Guys, if this schedule keeps up, I'll have finished this draft by the holidays!! I'm thrilled.

Lemme know what you think down below. Any ideas about what you think's going to happen? Do you ship Jella as hard as I do?? (Answer: no.)

Stay tuned for a new chapter soon! Also, be sure to vote, comment, & share on social media! It helps me & encourages me to keep going. Love you peeps!