Chapter 26: Muddy Mishaps

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction"

•••

"I can't go inside looking like this, Della," I huffed, struggling in vain to scrape off the stains on my clothes.

We were parked outside of a tire shop, a mile or two from the Hidden Valley of Misfortune, aka the place where the stains on my person and ego occurred.

"Just change your clothes then, Muddy Buddy!" Della snickered, gripping the steering wheel as she burst into laughter for what felt like the twentieth time since I fell. We had decided to move seats because Della wasn't too keen on me getting mud and grass all over the front of the car, so she stuck me in the back seat with my guitar.

It was humiliating.

"I only brought two changes of clothes, Della! And both of those are dirty."

"Poor planning on your part, dude..." Della shook her head disapprovingly. "Seriously, who only brings THREE outfits on a roadtrip across the country?? You need, like, FIVE minimum. At least six if you're planning on going to a fancy party or something!"

I tried to not grit my teeth in frustration. "Della, my original plan was to zip across the country in three days! Three days, three changes of clothes. Simple math."

"Simple math, my behind!" She scoffed. "Who goes on a roadtrip across the country in only three days, without stopping?? What kind of alien are you?"

"How about someone who is in a hurry to make it to an audition?" I grumbled. "Seriously though, I'm not going in there looking like this. I look like an idiot."

"No you don't. You look like..." she stifled a chuckle, "You look like a Sasquatch who just wandered out of the woods."

It was only funny because it was true. I was over six-foot tall, long-limbed, and completely covered in nature. The description fit too well.

I glared at her through the rearview mirror, as she peeked back at me. Her eyes glittered with amusement.

"You're really enjoying seeing me uncomfortable, aren't you?" I sighed, feeling defeated.

"Actually, I am!" She admitted without shame. "You're adorable when you're grumpy."

My ears burst into flames and I dropped my eyes from the mirror. I couldn't bring myself to look her in the face.

 I couldn't bring myself to look her in the face

"T-thanks... I guess." It came out a little more sarcastic-sounding than I had intended. But it wasn't entirely my fault. I was fluent in sarcasm—it just came naturally to me. And the unexpected compliment automatically put me on defense.

"No need to get bashful, Lovett. I was just stating the obvious."

While her words themselves were sassy and teasing, bringing back an old joke, her response itself was softer than when she had spoken before. As if she almost-regretted saying what she did... but not quite.