IT MIGHT AS WELL BE SPRING

She was laying there, fighting with no goal. One of the harvest witches held a white sheet in her hands, Genevieve a silver blade. Klaus limped into the church as he held onto Odette, all of his weight supported by her tiny body. Her tiny body filled with pain and anguish she had never before felt. She knew it when she walked in, when she felt the energy those three witches expelled. They wouldn't win, both she and Klaus were weakened by spells and drugs. The harvest witches were still made strong by the one not resurrected. Death, it made strong.

Klaus found some of his power and violently ripped the head off one of the guards, Odette proceeded to push the other one into an altar, cracking open his head on an edge.

She wasn't one to kill, never had been, but she would to save the one thing that could save Klaus. They looked at each other, relishing in each other's weakness and strength. Odette wanted to say goodbye, for if she wouldn't make it past today, for if this was the last time he would see her.

But he shook his head and continued to limp forward, in the direction of Hayley. Odette saw it before it happened, how two of the witches linked together their hands, linking together their powers. Odette raised her own hand in an attempt to stop it, but couldn't gain any traction on her own spell. She hadn't practiced magic for a year, and though she was strong, she wasn't strong enough to beat two harvest girls and a former ancestor. Not right now, at least.

Odette got pushed back, into one of the church benches, she could feel ribs cracking. Klaus got lifted against the wall, the two witches held him up before anchoring him there.

The girl against the church benches would be unable to get up comfortably before performing at least half a healing spell, and she knew that the other witches would never allow her to complete it. So instead she decided to stay seated against the bench, pretend not to be capable of doing the magic she needed, she would jump out when it was most necessary.

Hayley's screams filled up Odette's heart, filled up the power that was left in there. These screams would be her focus, this anguish would be her anchor. She would save her.

"You should know this brings me no joy. I promise I'll make it quick." Odette looked up at Genevieve with eyes like sauce platters, these were also reflected in Klaus's face. The younger harvest witch placed the white tarp over the lower half of Hayley. Odette wondered what she thought it meant, if she thought it had anything to do with dignity, or respect, if she thought that Hayley cared about either of those things in that moment.

"Let's begin, shall we?"

Hayley started screaming soon after that, the pain of birth one that can never be outdone. The pain of birth while knowing that your child might not be safe when she emerges, a whole other experience. Odette had seen birth before, at home where there were no hospitals allowed, but she had always seen it as something peaceful, something serene. Now she despised it.

"I will bring hell to your family!" Klaus's desperation sounded, the noise allowed Odette to whisper a spell under her breath, to feel her cracked bones realign. On her hand was Klaus's half dried blood, which she sucked from underneath her fingernails, hoping for some relief.

Excitement graced Genevieve's face, "One last push! Push! The baby's almost here!"

This thought only brought anxiety to Klaus, if it was up to him, his child would never come out of its happy home, would forever stay inside that warmth.

"I will bathe in rivers of your blood!" another whispered spell by Odette, another crack glued together.

"No! No!" Hayley exclaimed, feeling that the end was near, that her baby would never live inside of her anymore, the only place where she was safe.