THE NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES

The cemetery was this large, intimidating place where Odette immediately felt uncomfortable. Maybe like a thousand angels were staring at her, judging her for her sins.

"The tombs are empty. The grounds are deserted. She's NOT HERE!" Elijah yelled as he frantically paced around Lafayette cemetery. Odette sat down on the ground on her knees, creating tiny little cuts in the dry and sensitive skin of her them. She felt the ground, felt the energy pulsing through it. The energy of a thousand dead witches, and four live ones.

"This is the only place they can be! We'll keep searching."

"They are NOT HERE, Niklaus. We're wasting time!"

Klaus turned to face Elijah as he took note of the girl sitting on the ground, "The Harvest was here! The Reaping was here! They're about to perform a ritual which will feed their ancestors for centuries! Ancestors who are buried HERE!"

From her place on the pebbles Odette looked up, at the angel she felt had been staring at her all this time. She looked at her, turning her head to follow the direction of her eyes, and it almost seemed like she was smirking.

"It's an illusion." Odette spoke for what was the maybe the first time after Hayley's death. The two men looked at her.

"What is?" Elijah approached.

"That angel," Odette pointed up, at the naked angel hanging above them, "We've passed it three times already, walking in the exact same direction." She held her hand out to Klaus.

"Hoist me up there." He nodded, grabbed her around the waist and jumped atop the tomb with the angel statue. There she saw what she was expecting, though on a larger scale.

Endless tombs, endless crypts, endless headstones. That ugly angel statue repeated over and over again, as far as her eyes could reach.

"Maybe illusion isn't a big enough word."

Odette sat down in the middle of it all, they kept passing her, endlessly searching for a way out. She collected a candle from a tomb and lit it with her finger. One flame wasn't enough to power her magic, and she refused to tap into her ancestors. She knew the dangers that came with it.

"Have you done anything useful so far?" Odette opened one eye in response, pointing it at the man who had just spoken. Klaus was lucky that Odette knew how stressed he was and that she was just as invested in saving his daughter, or she might have hurt him.

"I'm trying, but one singular flame really isn't much to work with." She dug her hands further into the earth, searching for some semblance of hope.

The other witches, they would be siphoning off the ancestors. Gaining more power with every dead witch that agreed with their cause. Odette had sworn off the ancestors for a reason, she didn't wish to be their puppet any longer.

Klaus marked the tomb behind Odette again, it now had five tally marks, they weren't getting any further.

"You do realize you aren't going anywhere, right?" Klaus groaned at this and took the stone off the tomb wall.

"It's ingenious. I can see them, I can feel them, and yet they are not real." Klaus spoke, soon Elijah joined behind him, running his hands through his hair.

"There has to be a way. Even if we could just push through—"

"What I need to do is focus, 'Lijah."

Elijah glared at the witch and lost his temper in the process, "My only focus right now is that child and her safety, do you understand me?"

Odette glared back, "don't speak to me like that, Elijah. Do not confuse me for someone I am not, I am not a killer by heart, no. But I am not afraid of you."