6

"How's everything going?" Damita smiled into her the camera of her iPhone 8 Plus. "I miss you."

"Everything is going really great. I'm having some trouble with one of my classes, but other than that I'm doing well. I miss you guys too. Where's daddy?"Aaliyah asked her mother.

"He's downstairs. You wanna talk to him?"Damita pulled her blanket off and climbed out of her bed. "When do you want to come home or are you having too much fun to be bothered with us?"

"Of course not. I'm not sure when our breaks start though. I'll ask and let you know."Aaliyah replied.

"Alright. Just let me know so that I can book your flight early. So it can be cheap."Damita walked into the kitchen where her husband was.

"Cheap? I've never heard you say that word before. Are you sick? Are your lips burning?"Aaliyah joked with her mother.

"You're not funny little girl, I just don't want to pay more than 1,000 for the flight. I have to get one for your brother too. Yours is already expensive because you decide to take your ass across the country."Damita playfully rolled her eyes. "Here's your daddy."

She put the phone in front of her husband's face.

"Hey, Princess."Amaru smiled at his daughter. "What you doing?"

"I actually just finished studying and decided to call so I could talk to my favorite people before my next class started. How are you old man?"Aaliyah chuckled pulled the camera closer to her face.

"I been trying to keep up with your momma over here. You know she can't sit still. Every day she wants to do something. Daddy lets go shopping, Daddy let's go to the movies."Amaru shook his head.

"Mommy is retired and bored. We're gone, so she has nothing to do but get on your nerves. She could go bother her employees but that probably doesn't make her as happy."

"Ok, but what y'all not gone do is act like I'm not standing right here."Damita put her hand on her hip.

"You know I love you, mommy."Aaliyah blew her a kiss through the phone. "It's about that time, so I'll talk to you guys later. I have to go to class."

"Already?"Damita sighed. "We've only talked 5 minutes."Damita became sad.

"Mommy-yy! Please don't be like this. I call you later."Aaliyah sighed as her mother started to pout. "I love you. I love you, daddy."

"I love you too."Damita stayed pouty and handed her phone to her husband. "I love you too Lili. Don't worry about your momma. I got her."Amaru chuckled and ended the call.

"I miss my babies."Damita poked out her lip.

"Baby."Amaru took a deep breath. "Don't cry."He pulled her into his arms.

"I want my babies h-here with me. I don't want them to grow up."Damita sniffled.

Amaru just held her and rubbed her back. When she got in this type of mood, which was often he just let her be. "It's okay, baby. They'll be here soon. You'll see them soon and they'll come back for the whole summer."

The twins had been away at college for almost three months, he thought they'd be pass the stage but he was wrong. Damita's attachment to her children made her emotional every time they spoke.

"I don't want to go out anymore."Damita sniffled and laid her head on his shoulder.

"No, We're going out. We gone go have fun, then we can FaceTime the kids when we get back, ok?"Amaru kissed her on the forehead.

"Alright."Damita sighed and lifted her head off his chest.

"You don't sound happy about it. You need some help putting some pep in your step or you gone get your lil ass up the stairs and get dressed?"Amaru grabbed her hand before she walked away. "You been talking about this all week. We going."