Act-7

I could see her body shaking with rage as she glared at me with a murderous intent. My eyes didn't leave her face. Even as she stomped towards me. Or when she pushed me down with a single shove. My eyes followed her, with every breath in me.

Not even, as she despicably looked down at my figure sprawled on the floor, with hands clutched into tiny fists at her side; ready to make impact with its victim.

I stared after her retreating figure when she turned away with a sprint.

I couldn't hear the screams of everyone around me. I couldn't take the hand of someone trying to pull me up.

I could only stare after the open door, through which she had left only but seconds ago. Yet, no one went after her.

And my eyes searched for her even when my legs broke into a sprint on its own.

I could faintly register the loud thumping of my heart in my ears. But my eyes remained glued to the road, until she came into my view.

My feet fell short and I tripped over myself when she half turned to look at me, with hair blowing on her face. My eyes didn't leave hers, until she turned her gaze straight ahead.

Not until she turned uphill and got cornered. It was the end of the cliff and she sharply turned to register my presence. My chest heaved from lack of oxygen, while her face showed dried tears and red, swollen, left cheek.

And yet, we didn't stop.

I didn't lose sight of her even as she tried to brush past me and I grabbed her with one hand and threw her to the ground.

Gasping for breath, my eyes remained glued to her sprawled figure but she made no attempt to get up. Her hair hid her face and I half expected her to get up and punch me. But she remained lifeless for what seemed like an eternity. And when she finally responded, it was a tiny sob. Followed by another and another, until she was brawling her face into the ground. I stood my ground disoriented, until my legs gave away and I fell butt flat to the ground.

I gawked at her figure, numb of all emotions. Yet, I didn't take my eyes off of her. Not even when she had wiped away her tears or when she had started walking down the hill and towards the Haveli; I was in step with her only a feet away, never letting her escape my sight.

That summer of 16 was my last time here, or so I had thought naively.

My gaze drifted from the road track from that day to her quiet figure sitting beside me. That's how it has always been with us. When we were not arguing, it was always quiet.

;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;

I could never have thought that there would be a day that I would ever return to this Goddamned place.

That was my first thought as I grudgingly stepped foot outside the car. The 'Haveli' stood tall and majestic with all its grandeur as always. Some of the most initial painful memories of my life were linked with this cursed place. I had to pat my chest to be able to breathe again.

The sound of the car door shutting made me snap back to reality. I turned to the person behind the noise, distastefully. He noticed it and met my gaze but I looked away in revulsion and began walking towards the entrance.

'I can't believe, I have lived to return here.'

————————

I sat still in front of the mirror, clawing at the inside of my palm. Even though I heard him enter the room and walk closer, I didn't move an inch and kept my gaze fixated on the henna red hands, that covered my hands upto my elbows.