Act-16

"Honey, did you sleep alright?" I looked up from my breakfast at Granny's inquiry. She was looking at me with a warm smile, awaiting my response.

"Yes Granny. I slept like a baby!" I exclaimed with a wide smile and just then Rayyan looked up and gave me a lifeless look.

Hm? I raised my brows at him, still smiling but he turned away with a soft sigh.

"Rayyan—why aren't you having anything darling? Are you feeling alright? Should I bring you something else?" Granny turned to him panicked. I eyed the untouched breakfast infront of him and the black coffee in his hand.

"I am alright, Nans." He smiled and returned slowly. I was still eyeing him skeptically as I cut into my sausage when he said suddenly.

"Maybe ask the 'baby', though." He added with a teasing grin before glancing at me from the corner of his eyes. I, for one, could only gape at him open mouthed at his childishness.

Before I could react, Granny and Grampa had erupted into fits of laughter, joined by him and shortly later, me.

"Really Rayyan. Stop teasing the poor girl." Granny rebuked but the smile hadn't left her face either. I glanced at him who was still watching me with a smirk on his face. In return, I glared at him through a smile before turning away with a shake of head.

'What a kid.'

"Oh dear! Honey, what had I told you to remind me in the morning?" Our attention was caught by Granny who had turned on to Grampa; who now sat with his mouth hung open and the spoon halfway to his mouth.

"Uhh—" he tried to think, but the damage was already done.

"Really now! I should've known that I can't count on you for reminding me anything—but you kept going on how you will most definitely remember—" Nanny nagged while Grampa, sat with his head down obediently. I watched this bemused while desperately trying to bite down my smile.

"What is it Nans?" I heard him say, instead.

"Oh dear—The cake! I had to make sure they had got it right—" before she could go on, Rayyan broke in.

"Yas got it checked. She thought, you might forget, so she did it herself." He returned with a soft smile.

"Oh that sweet darling! God bless that beautiful soul. She took care of everything else too. I thought, I could do this much atleast—" Granny added regrettably.

"Is it like I asked them?" She asked, turning to Rayyan who nodded in response.

"Oh Alhumdulillah! Zaira dear, I made sure it was a chocolate cake. You like chocolate, right?" Granny remarked excitedly while reaching for my hand across the table. I gaped at her astonished.

"Yeah but how—" I couldn't complete my sentence.

"Of course we know! Whenever we had to come to Pakistan, Rayyan would pester us to buy chocolates for Zaira. Remember dear?" She turned to Grampa excitedly, who roared in laughter in agreement.

"And then he spent that entire summer sulking, when you didn't visit!" He exclaimed, still laughing heartily.

"I most definitely did nothing of that sort—!" Rayyan tried to stop them midway but it was futile. While I on the other hand, couldn't find the strength to raise my head. All the blood had suddenly rushed to my face and I could feel the heat creep up my cheeks up to the tips of my ear.

I sat still, with my heart pounding and eyes downcast; clutching the hem of my dress under the table, when Granny's voice brought me out of my daydream.