Act-19

"Hey, Zaira. Isn't Rayyan so cute?" I flinched at Hafsa's words, instinctively looking up from my lap, expecting to find him there, but was met with disappointment. A sudden burning feeling scorched in the pits of my heart but I extinguished it with a scoff.

"You mean a jerk? Or maybe delinquent?" I suddenly began to push my swing with greater vigour. Hafsa, unlike me was a direct cousin of Harris bhai. Her father Zubair Uncle, was the middle of the 3 siblings. Even so, I didn't particularly enjoy her company. Neither did other cousins, because of her annoying habits. I wasn't fond of her because she lied just to get her way. This bothered me more about her than the clinginess part. Yet, I felt bad about pushing her away like everyone else.

Every year the Hamdani siblings got together in the Haveli to spend summer together. It was more of a way to discuss business development than anything else. So to say, there were only 2 of the siblings left. The youngest sibling, Rayyan's mother had died years ago. And even though no one said it outright, everyone knew the only reason Rayyan was adopted by Uncle Zia, was to get hold of Saeeda Auntie's shares, that were now under Rayyan's name.

As I grew older, I started to understand the evil workings of this family. It didn't make things better that Dad would pull us into this mess too—just to strengthen ties with the Hamdani's. We didn't have direct relations with them but Dad had been their business partner since Grandfather's time. So they somewhat knew each other while growing up. That was part of the reason why whenever we didn't have any commitments for our summer break, Dad brought us here. Even at the age of 12, I had an understanding of the politics that went on in these people's mind.

"Oh come on! Just look at that foreign beauty. His striking features! Those beautiful green eyes—" Hafsa continued animatedly. I shot her a sideway glance, suddenly feeling an immense hatred for her.

'Green with a tint of hazel—' I mentally corrected. His eyes were the kind of earthy green that revived the grass after a cruel, unforgiving winter. Interwoven with shades of evening sun around the pupil. His eyes held danger and beauty all at once. Like a wild fire, it was reckless, untamed, yet undeniably captivating.

"Okay! I have decided! I'll give him a gift! A cake—!" She suddenly jumped out of her swing. I turned away with a frown, feeling the muscles in my neck tightening.

'A gift huh? Whatever. They both are equally annoying. Birds of same feathers flock together.' The thought burned in my mind like the jealousy pumping through my veins. I watched her leave and once more began to work the chains of my swings.

—————————

"Rayyan! I got you something—I made it myself for you—" I heard them but didn't look up from my book. I was sitting in my usual spot in the garden, going through my summer assignment when the noises piqued my attention.

'Do they really have to do this here?' I didn't know what was making me so irritated.

"Who are you again?" I noticed the annoyance in his voice which unintentionally made me look up. Instead of looking at Hafsa, who chuckled at what she believed to be his amazing sense of humor; his cold, unfeeling gaze was fixated on me. The unexpected eye contact made me blush and I looked away reflexively.

"Oh? Is that right? Well, let's see—oops! dropped it—" I didn't need to look up to see what had occurred. My eyes were already glued to the cake dumped on the ground.

I felt an unknown rage burning in me, as I turned a shaky glance to him. His mouth was turned up in a sinister grin as he looked down at a crying Hafsa with a cold blooded gaze.

"Now, please get lost—" He remarked carelessly with a roll of eyes and gave a final kick to the now empty tray on the ground before turning to leave. In that moment, I had no idea how and what made me get up.