Act-14

Neither of us moved. I could only gape at him, stunned. His words had struck me speechless. He didn't look away but there was no mistaking the hurt in his eyes. I wanted to say something, to erase that pain yet, no words would come out.

Finally, he looked away first. The muscles in his neck tightening, as he looked away from me. I tried to say something—anything—but I lost my chance as he walked past me and left.

For some time, I stood frozen in my place. Unsure, of what to do. What to think or feel. Somehow, I found my way back to my room.

Sitting on my bed, silently staring at nothing; whilst his words rang in my ears.

"You're misunderstanding something."

Misunderstanding? What's there to misunderstand?

Loathsome?

How can it be loathsome for me? Shouldn't that be my line? I get everything I want from this alliance, but what does he get?

"Did you really have to run away? I will call off the wedding."
"You can live your life however you want. I won't expect anything of you."

All this time, I was only thinking about myself; oblivious of what he would be going through because of me.

"I married you bearing Allah as my witness."
"You are my wife, which makes you my responsibility."

While Rayyan, he—'

I couldn't finish the thought. My hands shook as I opened the side table drawer and pulled out the diary in which I saved his note. Tracing my hand over his neat writing, I wished he would've said something hurtful, so that I could get out of feeling guilty. I might just have ruined someone else's life, while trying to fix mine.

"You're absolutely the worst, Zaira."

—————————

I stood outside the door, balancing the book in one hand and trying to knock with the other. After knocking once, I stood quietly; rocking on my tiptoes. Throwing a quick glance at my baby pink dress, which I had chosen with Buwa (nanny), who also helped me braid the sides of my hair.

I couldn't stop talking to her about him, ever since he helped me climb tree. If it weren't for Harris bhai, I could've talked to him more.

Suddenly the door, opened and an elderly lady came out. Her face showed surprise, on finding me at her door.

"A—" before I could say anything, she bent down to kiss me on either cheeks.

"Oh! If it isn't Zaira! Ma sha Allah! You've grown up, so much—Rayyan! Rayyan—Zaira is here to see you—" She had suddenly, started dragging me into the room and I couldn't help but feel abashed at her enthusiasm. I came into a large room, having a huge bed on one end and a sitting table and chairs on the other; where he was seated.

He watched me enter with a scowl.

"What are you doing here?" He questioned without hiding his disgust.

"Rayyan. Be nice, dear." His Grandma rebuked him at which he turned away.

"Now come along, sweet. Take Zaira out to play." At her words, he cried out horrified.