12.

The next day at school, Oscar was sat under a tree, eating his lunch. This was an unusual lunch arrangement for him, but it was a sunny day, and the tree provided him with sufficient shade. He looked up from his peanut butter sandwich to see Noah walking towards him.

Today Noah was sporting some maroon skinny jeans and a denim jacket. When he saw Oscar he smiled.

Noah sat down beside Oscar with his back against the tree, and pulled another salad out of his bag.

"So, the concert..." he began.

"Yeah?"

"Well, it's this really cool band called Hush Puppy, and it's this Friday. It starts at 8:00 so I'll pick you up at 7:30 if that's okay," Noah said.

"Oh," Oscar said, "You're picking me up?"

"Yeah I thought I could but if you just want to drive there and we can meet up that's fine too," Noah said.

"No it's fine, you can pick me up," Oscar said and smiled sweetly. "I'll text you my address tonight."

"Cool," Noah said. They fell into silence as both boys ate their lunch. Noah poked around his salad and Oscar took a bite of his sandwich, neither saying anything.

Suddenly, from the other side of the courtyard, Noah heard his name being shouted.

"Noah! Hey!" 

He looked up to see a girl frantically waving and walking towards them. 

It was Jamie, not one of his best friends, but a friend nonetheless. She had shoulder-length purple hair, and a petite build, with red-framed glasses. Her stride was confident and defined, but almost overshadowed by her cheery nature. 

Jamie reached the two boys and promptly sat down on the grass in front of them. "Hey Oscar, Noah," she said, "I didn't know you guys were friends."

"Oh yeah, we didn't used to be..." Oscar said.

"But we are now," Noah finished, with a smile.

"Ah," said Jamie. "So, what're you guys talking about?"

"There's a concert this Friday, and I'm taking Oscar," Noah said, and playfully put a hand on Oscar's shoulder.

Oscar blushed slightly, hoping that no one noticed. Taking me? Why does that feel weird?

His thoughts were interrupted when Jamie said, "Yeah I heard about that. Hush Puppy, right? I saw them a couple months ago. They're really good."

"Oh cool, you wanna come with us?" Noah asked Jamie.

"Sure!" Jamie replied, enthusiastically.

Her delight was interrupted only by the sound of a text message emanating from her phone, which she slipped from her back pocket and quickly unlocked, allowing the light to illuminate her freckled face. 

After a moment she said, "Okay guys I gotta go, but I'll see you both Friday."

"Alright, later," said Noah, while Oscar just smiled. 

Lunch-time was nearing an end, and Oscar had class to get to. He stood up, patting his hands down the sides of his jeans to wipe off the grass that they had collected from the ground.

"I should go," he said. "Talk to you later."

"Okay, bye," Noah said with a grin, and leaned back into the tree.

Oscar continued his day as normal, but with slightly more enthusiasm than usual. He couldn't wait for Friday.