30.

tw // homophobia, mild violence 

Oscar stood staring at his own reflection in the full length mirror that hung on his bedroom wall. Lost in thought, he started down blankly at his own outfit. He was dressed in a maroon hoodie and khaki skinny jeans, paired with some really rough-looking converse high-tops. 

He heard the familiar sound of a car horn outside of his house. This was enough to curb his intense thinking session, and snap him back to reality. He quickly peered out of the window to see Noah's car parked in the driveway below. 

He turned back toward the mirror at took one final look at himself before snatching his phone from where it laid on his desk, and making his way downstairs. 

He closed the front door behind him and paused for a second to take in the scene. The sun was shining bright in the sky but a slight breeze kept the temperature relatively cool. 

He continued down the paved driveway and hopped into the passenger side of Noah's car. He opened the door and was suddenly consumed by the musical stylings of Fleetwood Mac being blasted through the speakers. 

"Hey," he said, planting a light kiss on Noah's cheek. 

"Hiiii" Noah said, eagerly.

His fingers locked with Oscar's that rested on the console. "You ready to go?" He asked. 

"Yeah, all set." Oscar said, using his free hand to pull his seat belt around himself and click it into place.

"I'm so excited. You?" Noah asked.

Oscar paused, "Uh, yeah. I am kind of glad that we're not all driving there together, though," he said. 

"Why?" Noah asked.

"I dunno," Oscar sighed, "I thought it might be awkward. Seems like I never know what to say to Damen." 

Noah gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. "I'm sure it'll be fine." 

"Yeah." 

~ half an  hour later ~

Noah parked the car abruptly in the sea of other vehicles, surrounded by hundreds of makes, models, and colors. 

The two boys got out and started walking hand-in-hand in the direction of the various roller coasters and other rides that they could see standing tall over the horizon.

"Kim and Damen said they'd meet us at the front gates." Oscar said. 

"I think I see them over there." Noah said, releasing Oscar's hand to point at the couple standing about 15 meters away from them. He raised his arm and waved it vigorously. "Hi!" He shouted. 

"Hello!" The girl shouted back, while the she was with guy just waved shyly.

"Yep. That's them alright." Oscar laughed. 

They reached the other couple and Kim wrapped Oscar in a side hug. 

"Hey guys! You ready to go in?" She asked. 

"Yeah!" Noah answered for the both of them. The group began walking across the gravel parking lot. Damen with his arm around Kim, and Noah's around Oscar. 

After going through the gates and buying their wristbands the group started making their way across the fairgrounds. They happened upon a small wooden booth run by a young woman outfitted in a red polo shirt and tan smock tied around her waist. 

She stood in front of a beige pegboard attached to the back wall of the booth, that had dozens of balloons in various colors secured to it. In her hand she held three throwing darts.