18.

The day was Wednesday, Oscar and Kim were sitting on a picnic bench in the school quad, eating their lunches. Also sat on the bench in the far corner was Ethan, who had his head down low and was staring intently at a copy of Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurstonscar.

Oscar hadn't said much since siting down, and just picked around his ham sandwich.

Kim noticed this and started to ask him, "Hey Os, is everything alright?" He looked up, but before he could answer, Jamie sat down next to him on the bench and greeted them with a warm "Hello!"

They both replied, "Hey," simultaneously.

Jamie said, "So, you and Noah looked like you were having fun Friday?" Oscar's eyebrows shot up in alarm, and he gave her a dirty look, so as to say "not now, please."

Jamie must've taken the hint, because she looked at Kim who had now a confused look on her face and said, "Oh, I just mean that you guys really looked like you enjoyed the music. Did you?"

"Yeah, it was great." He said, a little too eagerly.

Kim started, "Oh that's great. I've been meaning to ask you about that."

"Yeah," Oscar said.

Jamie interrupted them, "Oh! I forgot to ask, are either of you going to the game this weekend? I know Noah is going..." she said, looking at Oscar.

"I can't go, I'm working all weekend," said Kim.

"Aw, that sucks. But Oscar, you should totally come with us," Jamie said.

Kim looked up from her phone and said "Yeah Os, sounds like fun, you should go," and flashed him a warm smile. 

Then she stood up from the table and said, "Anyway, I have to go make up a test for Mrs. Keating," while rolling her eyes, "I'll catch you guys later."

"Bye!" Jamie said, sweetly.

After Kim was gone, Jamie looked at Oscar and asked, "She doesn't know?" 

Oscar wouldn't look at her. 

"Know what?" He asked.

Jamie, clearly frustrated said, "About you and Noah!"

Oscar sighed, "Jamie, there isn't any Noah and me." He thought for a moment. "Kissing him was stupid and I shouldn't have done it, okay?" 

"What do you mean?" She asked. 

Speaking faster but still quietly enough that no one else could hear, Oscar said, "I was just caught up in the moment. It was dumb. I don't even think he was into it, honestly. He hasn't even mentioned it since then."

Jamie watched as he fidgeted with his hands in his lap as he spoke, cracking each knuckle.

"I think you're way overthinking this," said said, "I was there, he looked into it." 

Suddenly, Ethan let out a frustrated grunt from where he was sitting on the other side of the table.

"Oscar, man, this AP lit exam is gonna kick my ass. Could you please help me study?"

Oscar stared at him for a moment. Ethan had been so quiet that he and Jamie had forgotten that he was even there.

Letting out a shaky breath, Oscar asked, "Uh, yeah sure. When?"

"Does Sunday morning work for you? And can we do it at your place? My little brothers make it so hard to study at mine," said Ethan.

"Yeah that's fine," answered Oscar.

"Thanks man, really," said Ethan, appreciatively.

"Really, it's no big deal," smiled Oscar, while Ethan continued trying to wrap his mind around the onerous material that he had been assigned to read.

The friends sat in silence for the rest of lunch, only anticipating what was soon to come.

A/N

Sorry this was kinda short, I promise the next one will be longer. Thank you to everyone who has liked the story so far :)