Birthday

diane's pov

i giggle while braiding together some vines to make them look like streamers. i make the outside of the tavern all pretty before 6 am. today is a VERY important day. it's y/n's birthday. i smile as  continue decorating and then go off to find some berries to make something sweet.

i come back and y/n's outside humming. "happy birthday y/n!" i say brightly and she looks up.

"hey diane" she replies in a tired yet calm voice.

y/n's pov

i decide to go outside and it's decorated but diane's not here i sit down on the ground and begin to hum. diane comes back and in a very bright happy mood tells me happy birthday. i respond with a simple hey thinking of my family. i wish they were here. sure i'm kinda used to having no one with me for my birthday but i think that since it's my first birthday in a while with friends i just miss the more. i do wish they were here but the only way to find them is to go back to the land of the dead. 

"is something wrong?" diane questions and i look up at her a fake a smile. of course somethings wrong but i won't worry you about it i thought. 

"no" i respond quietly, no reason to get her worked up.

"do you like the decorations?" she asks and i nod

a/n so i almost wrote down lyrics from a song hat just came on and it goes
'do you know that bad girls go to hell'
because i already had do you down so yeah :P

"they're really pretty thank you so much. i think this is one of my best birthdays." i say brightly. diane sits down as worry gleams in her beautiful violet eyes.

"you want to be with them don't you?" she questions but before i respond she continues "i mean of course you do since they're family but i know how you feel. but i just wish i could help you but i can't. i feel so bad that your family can't be with you today y/n." she finishes.

i smile at her generosity before i begin to try and assure her that i love it. "it's fine diane. i love it, it's the best birthday i've had in a while." i explain and she smiles.

"yay  was hoping you would like it! let's wake up everyone else!" she beams. before i can respond diane lightly taps on the windows. meliodas, king, elizabeth, and hawk comes out. "where's ban?" diane questions.

"he's still asleep" king muses and then notices the decorations. "what's the occasion?" he questions.

"i'm turning 23 today" (random number over any drinking age i know) i reply looking bored. "let's go to the lake nearby and swim." i say and begin walking away. diane follows while elizabeth gets ban and the others wait for him.

"so....." diane starts stepping into the water.

"do you ever wish you were ..... not giant?" i question and she nods.

"a lot of the time. why?" she responds.

"i found this mushroom and when it gets defensive it spews this thing that shrinks you. i think it might be able to shrink you to a more natural-ish size. i mean your size is normal for a giant but for like non-giants?" i try explaining nicely.

"show me where!" she says enthusiastically.

"okay" i respond smiling and head in the direction of the shrinking mushroom