Chapter Two

Charly's point of view

On one hand I cannot wait to go to Molly's but on the other hand, I'm scared. Scared that my former life can reemerge on one second in front of my eyes, even though I know that I can't live eternally in doubt. Not knowing where this bar is located, Herrmann offered me to accompany me but for that, I just have to wait for the end of their shift. Having nowhere to go, I finally accept and stay at the firehouse all day. I felt a little been better after that they all re-introduced themselves to me.

"You cook?" Cruz asked me.

"I'm a terrible cook. If you want a fire training in your own station I can" I answered with a small smile.

"That's not a surprise" Casey laughed. "You've always been a terrible cook. The first day in here you forgot to peel the carrots before cutting them."

"And you ate them?" I exclaimed amused.

"Yeah" Mouch agreed. "That was a torture and since this day the Chief refused to let you cook again"

"Good choice!"

Before someone can add a word, the intervention alarm is active.

Truck 81. Squad 3. Ambo 61. Circulation accident...

The sharp voice of the intercom sends me in front of my eyes like in a flash a moment of my life.

"Welcome to Firehouse 51!" My new chief said. "I let you go change before I introduce you to your colleagues".

"Yes, Sir" I replied before leave his office and started running toward the lockers.

It's with this same joy that I put myself on my uniform in less than five minutes. After that, I rejoin the common room where all the firefighters and paramedics of this house were.

"You're the new candidate?" An old man asked me.

Surprise by this question, I look behind me just to be sure that he was talking to me.

"Yes, you" He added.

"No. I'm not the new candidate" I replied with a small smile. A nervous smile.

"Who are you ?" A brown man with whiskers continued.

"I'm Charly Smith, the new firefighter on Truck 81."

My answer made all eyes on me and shy and subject to anxiety attacks, I could feel the red goes up to my cheeks. For something like three seconds, I closed my eyes to prevent me to run away.

"Stop torturing her" A blond man moaned. "I'm Lieutenant Casey on Truck 81. Welcome aboard Charly."

"Thanks, Lieutenant".

"This is Herrmann, between us is like the godfather of this station. Here, with the horrible whiskers, is Otis who works on the elevators. They're not gonna eat you" My Lieutenant smiled.

"So where did you come from?" Herrmann asked. "And, it's Christopher".

"Austin" I admitted.

"Welch?" A pretty Puertorican girl asked me. "Dawson. Gaby Dawson".

"Welch was my Lieutenant when I was a candidate and now I literally hate him" I winced.