Chapter Four

Casey's point of view.

The shift gonna start in a couple of minutes and there aren't any footsteps of Severide in all the firehouse. I would like to think that he's just late but in all the years of his career he had never been late.

"Nobody has seen Severide?" Wallace asked all his men reunited in the common room.

"Maybe he was serious last time" Mouch suggested, remembering the sharp words used by his fellow Lieutenant.

"No. That's not Kelly." Shay added. "This job is all that he has since Charly was gone and since we all give up on him".

She was right: we all give up on him. We don't even try to put ourselves in his shoes. After all, his changing behavior was natural: he lost, even if she doesn't die, the love of his life.

"We don't give up on him" Herrmann started to get work up.

"Yes, we did!"I replied. "Because Charly left, he stopped smiling and talking to us, and we're mad at him because he was sad. What kind of friend are we?"

"You're not the one to blame, Matt" Gaby attempted.

"Him either" I responded. "I gonna try to call him." I continued, riding out.

Once in my office, I closed the door and put my phone off my trousers' pocket. I scroll my contact list before to select his one.

"You're on Kelly Severide's inbox. Leave your message after the beep sound" The voice of my best friend raised through my mobile.

"Hey, buddy it's me, Matt. Hum... I just call you to know, how are you doing? We're all looking for you at the firehouse. Hum... look I'm so sorry for giving up on you, I was wrong. Call me back, please." I stated before to hang out.

After this phone call, I walked back to the common room and drunk a hot coffee, talking with my girlfriend. Despite, all the distraction in the firehouse, I couldn't get out of mind this bad feeling that I feel concerning Kelly, the one that I consider as my little brother.

"Casey, my office, please" Chief Boden ordered.

I followed him into his office, where I shut the door up before sitting in front of my boss.

"Did you talk to Severide?"

"I tried to call him but he didn't respond" I explained.

"Do I have to research another Squad Lieutenant?"

"I don't think so, Chief. I think he's gonna be right back for the next shift but..." I started.

"But what?"

"I don't know, I have a bad feeling."

"Brother connection" Wallace smiled. "Herrmann can replace you for one hour if you want to go check on him"

"Can I?" I replied with enthusiasm.

"Of course! Get away of my view"

"Thanks, Chief!"

I don't wait long to leave the firehouse and drive in the direction of the Squad 3 Leader's apartment. I park my truck at the side of his own car. At least, he's here. It's a good thing or not. I run on the stairs before stopping myself in front of his door. I hit three times on the latter and wait for him to open the door. But that doesn't happen. I restart a couple of time before trying to call him on his cellphone. Again, I fall on his inbox but I'm pretty sure to have heard his phone ring.

"Hey Kel', buddy, you're here?" I asked through the door.

No answer.

"I know you're here! Open this damn door! Don't be stupid, I don't want to smash the door."