Chapter Ten

It's a groan of pain, in the middle of the night, escaping from the injured Lieutenant that had been waking them up four hours ago. Since that, they had not returned to sleep. Charlotte and Matthew were at his right side while Leslie was at his left.

The ICU were quiet as usual. The nurses were as kind as possible with the patients and their families.

"You should go home, the three of us" a young nurse, named Mary according to her badge, said. "He will be fine with us around, and you need to eat correctly and to get a shower. He needs you at the best of your strength."

"Now..." Leslie tried to protect.

"She's right" A weak voice mumbled, making them jump. "You can't pass your days in here and I need some of my stuff" He continued slowly, the oxygen mask still on his face.

"Are you sure?" the Truck's Lieutenant asked doubtfully.

"Yeah, you need your rest too."

Matthew behind the wheel, they were going towards the house that Leslie and Severide were sharing. Leslie insisted that Casey stayed with them, it was easier for everyone. None of them were able to find sleep, their mines miles away from here. Smith was exploring the apartment, looking at every picture, every object. Suddenly, she froze her gaze on one of the photos: Severide and her laughing.

"This one was taken by me, the first night you moved in with us" Shay explained. "That was two weeks after your first shift at 51."

"That was fast" Charly constated.

"Nature was on your side" Shay added.

"What?" 

"Where is Smith?" Casey asked, noticing that all his men were here but not her.

"No idea" Darden replied, drinking his black coffee.

The Truck's Lieutenant reached her in the whole firehouse, hoping that she might be working on the Truck. But no she wasn't. He decided, after more than an hour, that he had to let the Chief know. In his way to Boden's office, he crossed his fellow Lieutenant and best friend.

"What's up?" This latter asked.

"Charly's missing," he said.

"I'm gonna try to call her"

"Thanks, man!"

Phone glued to the ear, Severide was heading towards the Squad table while his guys were eating their breakfast. After four ringtones, she eventually picked up.

"Where the hell are you Smith?" He asked.

"The feet in water" she replied.

"What?"

"My apartment is flooded. Tell Boden I can't assure my shift"

"Really?" Kelly laughed on the phone.

"That's not funny, you idiot!" she retorted.

"Oh... I'm your Lieutenant."

"Right now, I don't give a damn what's your rank, Lieutenant!" She added, accentuating on the last word.

And before he could add something the line went dead. I love this girl, he thought.

"Why are you smiling?" Shay asked, making him blench.

"Nothing!" He lied.

"Charly, right?"

"If you already know the answer, why do you ask me?"

"Because it's funny to see you all enamored of her" She laughed.

"I am not!"

"Yes, you are!" Andy interfered.

"You just come to lose your place on my Squad" Severide responded, an idea coming in his head. "Okay, guys, listen up! We're all coming for a ride."

"Fifteen minutes later we're at your place. We help you out and after that, I had a discussion with the big squad Lieutenant about having a new roomie: you. And, of course, he accepted. He was already pinching it for you" Shay finished relating.

After a quick breakfast and shower, they were heading back to the hospital. But when they arrived, they were taken by surprise.

"Mister Severide asked for no visitors," The same nurse that kick them out told them.

"What? Why?" Casey asked.

"Listen, Mister Severide..."

"Lieutenant Severide" Shay cut her off.

"Lieutenant Severide is going through a lot and he might need time to process and to accept what's happening to him. Again, it's his choice" She explained, before excusing herself and leaving them.

"The hell with that!" Charly mumbled, heading toward the ICU room where he's admitted.

Carefully, she opened the door and stepped inside. Without that much sound, she approached him.

"I asked for no visitor!" He whispered, closing his eyes in default of being able to turn his head in the opposing direction.

"Kelly" she pronounced in the same tone as him. "Don't do that to yourself. Pushing everyone away isn't going to hell you. You don't want us to see you weak? You are not weak!"

"Yeah? I can't sit down, I can't eat alone, I can't go to the toilets, I can't... I can't anything! I am weak, I'm damn infirm! "

"The doc said that there is still a chance that you can walk again thanks to physical therapy."

"No. I refuse. There's no chance. I'm done!"

"Look at me!" She shouted louder than before.

She waited to see his piercing blue eyes on her to continue.

"Recovery is for people who want it, not for people who need it. To you want to have your squad back?"

"That's imp..."

"Yes or no?" She cut him off.

"Yes"

"Then stop being so stubborn and accepted physical therapy." She said. "You can do it."

"I can't do it alone." He admitted.

"I'm not going anywhere neither they are" She reassured him, the best she could.

"Thanks!" He mumbled.

"You won't say that when I will kick your ass on physical therapy when you'll be too lazy" She joked.