Chapter 5: Suspicion

The following week has been rather calm. Pines started to get used to the fact that they had another resident in their house. Danny may be closed in himself, except maybe around Wendy and her buds, but he seemed like a nice guy to them. And the fact that he bought them ice cream had nothing to do with that assumption. Still, no matter how the twins tried to pull him away from that seclusion he remained in most of the time, he kept resisting.

Phantom wasn't avoiding them, but kept quiet when they were around, unless they spoke to him.

On one clear evening Danny got on the roof of the Shack. It would be a huge crime for the half ghost to miss such a beautiful sunset. There was something peaceful in the daily event. After living for so long in a place where day or night weren't relevant, it was a nice change of scenery. Danny lied on his back, with a can of soda in his hand. One of the perks of having ice abilities - your drink will remain cold when you hold it.

His hearing suddenly caught movements behind, along with the sound of the opening trapdoor. Phantom dropped his head backwards, only to see Dipper climbing out on the roof. Of all the people he was the last one Danny should accompany. Nevertheless, he tried to keep cool arounf the person who would make him lose his competition. But he had to remain close, or it will be unfair. If Danny spends the entire summer inside the cave out of anyone's view, then what chances Dipper will have?

"Hey, Dips, what's up?" Danny greeted, using the nickname he gave him.

"Hey Danny," Dipper responded without enthusiasm. He didn't like that nickname.

He sat near the half ghost and picked a soda can from the mini fridge, before prying it open.

"What are you doing out here?" Dipper asked.

Danny shrugged. "Nothing as of now. I'm waiting till the night."

"That's why you brought telescope?"

"Precisely."

"And Gruncle Stan was fine with it?" He asked incrediously.

"Well, I DID help him in his...small adventure a week ago, I think I deserve some reward. Plus, Stan is currently in Las Vegas, having fun with Goldie, what he doesn't know wouldn't do him any harm."

Dipper hummed thoughtfully, looking at the fruit inside the can. A silence settled after that, and the preteen kid started to walk around mindlessly.

"So...you are into astronomy, aren't you?"

Danny snorted. "What gave it away?" He asked sarcastically. "Yeah, when I was a kid I wanted to be an astronaut."

"And what stops you now?"

Phantom sighed, "My grades, for one thing. I fail, like, EVERYTHING," he moved his hands in the opposite directions, proving his point that he and his plans went completely different paths.

"Why? You don't look stupid."

"Uhm...thanks?" Danny said uncertainly, before sighing again. "It's just...a lot of things happened, which led to my bad grades and me being expelled. But, hey, I have nothing to complain about right now. And who you want to be?"

"I'll tell you..." Dipper answered longingly. "If you promise not to laugh."

Phantom raised his hand in 'scout's honor' sign. "Alright, I promise."

"I want to be a...paranormal investigator. Now, before you say something, it's actually..."

"Hey, that's fine, I believe you."

"You...do?"

"Sure thing, I mean, my parents were ghost hunters, although there weren't any at the moment. I never believed in all their theories and findings on supernatural stuff, until I saw them myself. My town got infested by ghosts, ranging from the weak ones to the level ten."