Chapter 6: One eye less, one eye more

A.N. For those who are wondering, I did borrow some scenes from the Cold Front comic. If you haven't read it already, go and do it immediately. It's awesome.

It was four in the morning. Everyone was sound asleep, besides one half ghost. Danny was sitting on his unused bed, reading in the light of ectoenergy in his palm. His mind wasn't occupied by the species' characteristics, however. He was thinking about the recent event, and to say that he was calm would be a mistake. Finally Phantom gripped the book in anger and threw it away, before getting on his feet and starting to stomp around.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid!" He muttered in anger, his eyes flashing green for a moment, releasing the anger which was boiling up the entire night. "How could I slip up so easily? Stupid obsession, I hate you, damn it!" He whisper yelled.

"I need to go for a walk," the ghost teen deadpanned, before opening the window and jumping down on the dirty path.

Putting hands in his pockets Danny walked to the town without any particular purpose in mind. It was really empty at that time. Well, better for him, he didn't exactly crave for company at the moment. The cool and slow night wind was blowing into his face, slightly ruffling his pitch black hair. His peaceful walk was interrupted by a sound of siren. A police car stopped right near the half ghost. He saw that two cops who seem to be the only ones here. Quite incompetent, from what he heard.

"Hey kid, what are you doing here so late?" The Afroamerican one asked.

"Walking," Danny answered, raising his eyebrow.

"Suspiciously walking," another cop narrowed his eyes. "Are you planning to steal anything?"

"The only thing being stolen here is my time."

"Alright, alright, we are going."

They drove away and behind the corner, leaving Phantom dumbfounded. Have they really just instantly believed the words of total stranger? It's a miracle that the town wasn't overcrowded with criminals. Shaking his head, Phantom continued his path. He was on the town's outskirts, when he noticed some movements in the trees. The leaves rustled in a straight line, meaning that it wasn't just wind. Something was in there. And this 'something' was moving towards the Greasy's Dinner. It was closed, but there was still someone inside.

Soon the bushes rustled for the last time, revealing a bunch of gnomes, led by their king himself. Raising his eyebrow, Danny leaned on a tree, curious about what was going on. The small creatures walked to one of the windows, where smoking pie was waiting for them. What was the point of making pie in a midnight? Feeding werewolves? Well, the dish was about to be eaten by hungry garden decorations, who stood on each other in order to reach the window and miserably failing.

Suddenly the doors swung open and a bunch of opossums ran out of the building, followed by Old Man McGucket. Alright, Danny will never eat there again. Lazy Susan went out of the dinner and locked the door behind her. He could hear what she was saying.

"Good night, dinner, good night, trees," she passed near the gnomes. "Good night, little men trying to steal the pie..." Susan stopped abruptly.

Jeff and the others didn't pay attention to her.

"C'mon, get up from your knees," he commanded, "If I don't eat today, I'll have to resort to cannibalism," finally Jeff noticed the audience. "Ma'am," he greeted, taking off the hat.

Susan shrieked in terror and took a few steps back, hitting the phone box. Deciding to call the police and report what she saw, she dialed the number. What happened next, caught Phantom's interest. From behind she was grabbed by a bunch of people in crimson red robes, which hid their faces. They knocked her out, and were about to carry her away, when they heard a voice behind them.