Cain

Finally, he was able to put him to sleep after another fit of night crying.

As he made his way back to his room for the fifth time that night, Cain let out a long exasperated sigh.

How the fuck was he going to do this alone, he didn't know that first thing about raising a child.

This was her fault. All she had to do was stay and do what she'd said she would, what she'd committed to do. But obviously that wasn't the case now.

His wife Ellie had walked out on him and their son a few months prior to pursue her dream of being a singer.

When she'd brought the news to him, he was excited for her until he found out it required them to move and for her to be on the road all the time. He wasn't having that.

They'd argued until their son started wailing and Cain went to comfort him, leaving her with an ultimatum.

"I'm going to put him back to bed. If you're still here when I come back down, then you've made the right decision. If not, don't you ever come back."

And that was it, she'd left without a word and returned for her things when she knew he was at work.

Yup, she was the ideal woman of every man's dreams.

He sighed and laid back in his bed, looking over at the picture of their wedding day next to his glock.

To think that all this started with that gun.

He didn't work for corporate businesses or in retail, he was a janitor of sorts. A human janitor.

Six years in the military and an honorable discharge left him with an exceptional amount of funds but had robbed him of his soul.

He'd become addicted to killing, he needed it like a fiend needs their next drug fix. That's when he became a hired gun.

He murdered anyone he was told to without question for the right price. Men, women, children, the elderly, even animals.

Ellie had been one of his many clients who hired him to murder her abusive family so she could finally be free.

Simple, three bullets and arson. But there was more to it.

There was something in her eyes, something he liked. So when she asked him out after delivering his money, he obviously said yes and so began their relationship.

Not long after, they found out they were expecting and married shortly before their little son had arrived.

It was supposed to be the ideal life but fate had other plans and now here he was, crawling out of his bed again to comfort his son.

As he rocked and carried him down the stairs, he looked around and saw nothing but pictures of himself and Ellie, illuminated by the moon's light, looking like the happiest couple to ever get together. Lies.

He opened the fridge and pulled out a bottle of formula before placing it in his son's awaiting mouth and holding it there.

"Well, at least you're not leaving me any time soon."