The Russian

Chapter 1

Edited

We were late for school, racing across the street like a pack of wolves. Not only had we woken up a hour past, but the electricity was cut off down our entire street. Last night a thunderstorm struck, apparently, and wiped out the post lines. None of this helped me as I lived with ten people, and are wrestling to get to the only two bathrooms in the house, needing to brush my morning breath and take a shower to start the day.

"Come on," my cousin, Nina, shouted at me from across the crosswalk. "Everyone is already in school. Mrs. Murray is going to have our heads!"

I rolled my eyes. My cousin can be over dramatic when it comes to her school attendance, whereas I could care less. My GPA gave me enough coverage to skip a few weeks, and only drop to a A minus.

The late bell rang for the second time, and all four of us made haste inside the tall, elite building that was our school, Venice High, looming over us and stretching as far as the heavens.

Together me and my cousins rushed into our English IV class with Mrs. Murray. Students were already seated, conversing as the teacher faced the chalkboard, writing the objective for this week.

She turned to observe us, her eyes accusative.

"Stupid alarm clock." I cursed under my breath, trying to untangle my golden ringlets pressed in a tangle down my spine. I didn't get the chance to brush my hair, because my Aunt Lesya took the fucking thing with her to work!

As we disrupted her class with our entrance we each apologized and took our seats as quietly as the silence in the room allowed. I tried to keep my head down in attempt to avoid the accusing glare of my mom's best friend.

The one thing I loathed more than anything was attention, and she knew this.

Mrs. Murray was like a sister to my mother during their years of high school, here, since the last time she spent her teenage years here at the beach. Why she left I don't know, but she doesn't like to talk about it.

I always wondered why. Who wouldn't want to talk about the town where you met your first, and only, love?

"Korina," Mrs. Murray announced, drawing the eyes of my classmates. "What on earth has you and your siblings late this morning?" She raised a brow. "That's not a normal character of yours."

"Alarm clock didn't go off," I said with a shrug. "The storm last night took out our power. Won't happen again, miss."

"See that it doesn't." She pointed a finger at me with a friendly glare before waving me off. "Take your seat, and never call me that." She shuddered. "Makes me feel old."

I giggled and started toward my seat like she instructed me. Upon locating my spot I stopped. There were two boys sitting in Nina and I's section.

What the fuck? Who the hell are these guys?

One wore a gray beanie with his back to me. I caught a glimpse of fair hair tucked under the hem, sticking out against his neck. He had broad shoulders encased by a gray V-neck and dark jeans and a navy blue hoodie.

The other beside him had his feet crossed over the long table with a bored expression on his sharp face, slouched in the chair with his head tilted backwards keeping his eyelids sealed. He appeared to be engrossed in the deep conversation with the row of jocks and cheerleaders behind him. His ears listened and his head nodded ever so often with a dimpled smile.

Wow. His smile was gorgeous.

Focus, Korina!

I cleared my throat. "That's my seat."