Ancestry Untold

Chapter 21

Edited

"Please drive faster," I barked at Vitaly, knees drawn to my chest, and hands pulling at the roots of my hair.

"We're almost there, Kory. Just breath for me."

"I can't when I know my family is in danger."

"We do not know that, yet."

The shrill of my phone set off in the quiet of car. Vitaly turned down Venice Boulevard and sped straight as I fished out the cell reading my cousin's name in bright green, her picture sitting on the riverbank of Venice Beach shown just up above. I answered by the third ring.

"Nina?"

"Don't come," she hasted. "It's a trap-" Her voice cut off telling me her phone was stolen as I heard her breaths coming uneven in the background.

"Bad move, baby girl." I recognized the voice as Konstantin.

I frowned. "Nina? Nina!"

There was a pause.

Then, "Moi glaza. So nice to hear your voice again."

I tensed up.

What the hell does he want? And why did he have Nina call me?

"What is this about, Boris? What have you done with my cousin?"

"I am checking on your progress with my nephew. You know how I hate to wait."

"I'm working on it. It's not as easy as it sounds. You should have found someone else for the job. I'm a Vory, not a escort to parade myself."

His laughter resonated from other end of the line. "That you are not. And your cousin. She is a very attractive girl. I would hate to have a show for your parents in front of them. Konstantin can be very....violent."

"No," I shouted, causing Vitaly to swerve on the road. The missed car honked as he skid to a stop on the shoulder, looking to me with a concern and fear. "Please, leave her out of this."

"Then make do with your assignment. I may be forgiving with your precious Nina, solely because I have a daughter of my own. But Mikhail and Levin are boys. I can easily make them my own personal Made Men."

"I am doing what you ask. More so because I am risking my family, and my own life. You could have used anyone to get to your nephew."

"But it is you he wants. Do not make me repeat in taking another life."

My blood ran cold. "No. I am making progress. Just give me some time."

"I think you might be out of time. I have given you enough leniency with this job. I even held the balance of your family to ensure you got it done. But now," he waited. "You are wasting my time."

"No, please," Nina cried sounding distant on the receiving line. "Get away from me!"

"Don't touch her," I heard Mikhail yell, followed by a grunt.

"Leave her alone," Levin sounded restrained. "I know Kora. She will give you what you ask. What she has done is working. Maksim will not have anyone else."

Boris's tone was annoyed. "And how can I be sure?"

Nina screamed so unexpectedly I dropped the phone and covered my ears. Tears burst from my eyes, spilling onto my skirt. Her cries were endless, piercing echoes that replayed her pain in my mind over and over and over again.