The Kissing Booth

Chapter 20

Edited

"Korina.

I looked up from my assignment. "Yes, Mrs. Murray?"

"Can you and Arina join me and Alyona for a second?"

Since Arina was sitting beside me, we shared a look before getting up to stand in front of Mrs. Murray's desk. It was littered with papers, her red pen highlighting the corners with a percentage from the last quiz we took on Shakespeare's Much A Do About Nothing.

She smiled up at us, bridging her fingers. "How are you two doing today?"

"Good."

"Fine, I guess." That was Arina.

It was obvious something was up. Mrs. Murray wasn't so chipper unless she wanted something from us. We knew that from when we were little, and she had us tell my parents she broke the vase. No one can get mad at a five year old.

"So, as you both know. Today is the charity event for the school clubs and sports. Since it is required of two seniors to operate the female Kissing Booth. Alyona brought to my attention two girls."

"Oh no."

"Fudge."

We both whipped heads and glowered at the culprit. She was hiding behind a clipboard, peaking over the rim and smiled.

Arina's face was a mask of fury. "You volunteered us?"

"Yes," Alyona squeaked. "You two finally found a grounding. I think this may give you a short break from all those lost years. Catch up. After all, you both are like sisters to me, and if you don't do this I understand-"

Arina covered her sister's mouth. "We will do it. But you have to promise not to babble like this any more."

She giggled. "Promise."

"Good."

"It is only third and fourth years who you will be kissing," Alyona said. "As the president of the committee, and Activity Director we have to raise more than the boys."

"But that gives every other guy permission to kiss us," I grumbled. "I'm not pleased with anyone getting a chance to kiss me. I'll punch those who try."

"I can do it," Isabella gushed, making her way to the front. "Sounds fun."

I rolled my eyes. Of course she wanted to volunteer. She probably kissed half the boys here in school. Couldn't she have gotten a different English teacher?

"Thank you, Isabella," Mrs. Murray said with a friendly smile. "However, I already wrote these two down for the Activities Director's sign up sheet. You can help in the Pie Booth with Tommy. The boys are going to need help since Maksim, his brother and Vitaly volunteered for the boy's Kissing Booth."

"What?" Arina and I inquired.

"They have their own booth?" I hadn't heard of this.

Mrs. Murray nodded. "They came to me with the idea yesterday. They'll be in competition with you two. Whoever gets the most money, I arranged for a special gift card for either pair."

"Will they be next to us?" Alyona asked, playing with the end of her braid. There was a faint pink in her cheeks.

Was that because of Aleks?

I had a feeling it was. That boy was always trying to flirt with her these past weeks, but she never gave him the time of day.

"Yes. I'll chaperone for a while, as Mr. Mandarin will be supporting the Photo Booth. He'll chaperone the boys."